westend
Audiopile
I've done a search here about different soldering stations and have been looking around for choices to upgrade to a different soldering station than the one I have. As most of the members here, I do recapping and component replacement on audio circuit boards. I was wondering if any members could give their input on different brands and types of stations. My criteria for selection would include: power rating, reliability, iron ergonomics, and parts availability.
Here are a few current choices I am considering:http://shop.kiesub.com/Detail.bok?no=3 I lkike this as an "all around" choice.
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/1980-0430/ It's a Weller so I know what to expect. The digital display model is also a choice but the analog has a rebate, currently, so price of the analog is consideably lower.
http://www.web-tronics.com/eltemconesds1.html This unit seems to have all I need but is an unknown to me regarding reliability and quality. Also, I've been unable to find the wattage rating, online.
http://www.circuitspecialists.com/prod.itml/icOid/7347 This rework station is very competitively priced and their CSI soldering station: http://www.circuitspecialists.com/prod.itml/icOid/7508 is priced way below the other choices listed above. Again, these are an unknown to me and I don't have a clue as to reliability or if parts will be available in the future.
I usually buy tools without too much price consciosness as I have learned that a better tool makes life a lot easier and the money saved isn't really a saving in the long run, i.e. "you get what you pay for".
If some of the veterans of the bench could weigh in and post their thoughts or list a different station they're fond of I'd be most appreciative. Also, if anybody has a take on upgrading to a complete rework station versus a soldering staion I'd like to hear about that, too. A hot air station would sure be nice for getting at those IC placements. :yes:
Thanks,
lance
Here are a few current choices I am considering:http://shop.kiesub.com/Detail.bok?no=3 I lkike this as an "all around" choice.
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/1980-0430/ It's a Weller so I know what to expect. The digital display model is also a choice but the analog has a rebate, currently, so price of the analog is consideably lower.
http://www.web-tronics.com/eltemconesds1.html This unit seems to have all I need but is an unknown to me regarding reliability and quality. Also, I've been unable to find the wattage rating, online.
http://www.circuitspecialists.com/prod.itml/icOid/7347 This rework station is very competitively priced and their CSI soldering station: http://www.circuitspecialists.com/prod.itml/icOid/7508 is priced way below the other choices listed above. Again, these are an unknown to me and I don't have a clue as to reliability or if parts will be available in the future.
I usually buy tools without too much price consciosness as I have learned that a better tool makes life a lot easier and the money saved isn't really a saving in the long run, i.e. "you get what you pay for".
If some of the veterans of the bench could weigh in and post their thoughts or list a different station they're fond of I'd be most appreciative. Also, if anybody has a take on upgrading to a complete rework station versus a soldering staion I'd like to hear about that, too. A hot air station would sure be nice for getting at those IC placements. :yes:
Thanks,
lance

Next upgrade/purchase... an oscilloscope. :yes: