• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

“Antiquing” in Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyTT

ear hair gets in the way
Hello fellow Akers. Can any of you recommend any good places that may have a good vintage audio selection in and around the Berkshire area in Massachusetts (see attached map)? My wife and I recently bought a cottage in Lenox :beerchug: (we live in Toronto) and while my wife does her antiquing :sigh: to furnish the place while we’re there later this summer I’d like to do a little “antiquing” of my own for some vintage audio finds for the cottage.:yes:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am willing to go anywhere on the attached map and maybe a little further.
Thanks guys…..
TT
 

Attachments

  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 47
Register to hide this ad
I think you'll need a time machine more than a car :-) What you're looking for has all but vanished. Instead, post some WTB threads in BT and I'm betting some of the nice AK folks in this area will welcome a serious buyer with open arms into their spare rooms full of gear.

I just did this to help a friend out with his home theater and the experience could not have been more positive.

jblnut
 
Well, I’m gonna need some vintage gear for the cottage and I don’t want the potential hassles of bringing stuff through the boarder so I’m gonna keep my ear to the ground and try to sniff out what I can.
 
Hello fellow Akers. Can any of you recommend any good places that may have a good vintage audio selection in and around the Berkshire area in Massachusetts (see attached map)? My wife and I recently bought a cottage in Lenox :beerchug: (we live in Toronto) and while my wife does her antiquing :sigh: to furnish the place while we’re there later this summer I’d like to do a little “antiquing” of my own for some vintage audio finds for the cottage.:yes:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am willing to go anywhere on the attached map and maybe a little further.
Thanks guys…..
TT

There are some places more east near Springfield/Northampton. Also our area Craigslist usually has quite a bit of nice vintage gear available.
 
Check out indoor flea markets and antique malls. I have found many scores at these types of places. The Pioneer Valley has plenty, and your wife can do her antiquing at the same time.
 
There really isnt any hassle with crossing the border with used gear. I've crossed between with sometimes 15 or 20 pieces of gear in my Suburban (both directions) and not once has an eyelash been batted. If you want to test the theory, then go to Value Village and get a $6 vcr or something and cross with it..if you get a hassle then it wont be a problem to dump it.
If the gear was all new in boxes unopened, that may be a different thing.
If all thats not a good idea..you could check in with Last Vestige Records in Albany, on Quail St I think. They usually have a few used tt in the store, but theres a guy that they would know 15 or 20 miles north of Albany (right along The Northway, 87 North) that had a small storefront full of used gear, and did repairs in the back, if he is still there...I was last there about 5 years ago.
 
:thmbsp:on last vestige. Great record store. They do have some used gear but not a hell of a lot. If you don't mind a ride, check out hionfi in Syracuse NY. Tons of vintage gear at reasonable prices (IMO).
 
Really, become a subscriber and check out BT aka Barter Town - available only to subscribers.
Some of us have a few extras in the collections looking for a new home.
 
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will have to make time to scoot through Albany. I will be driving by Syracuse on a number of occasions so I will have to look up hionfi and see if its worth a stop. The suggestion to look on CL for listings in the area makes sense - duh.

I have been going through the border for many years and have never had any issues with taking stuff across UNTIL I let it slip recently that we have a cottage there:no:. Before they couldn't care less, but now they pay much more attention to me when I enter the states. They must of flagged me. The last time I went through I had to pop the trunk -- and if they see anything out of the ordinary like an old receiver or even a set of towels they want to know what when where why.

TT
 
OK guys I have mentioned this site before. If you hunt for vintage equipment of course there is our Barter Town and Craigslist of course but you can't forget the thrift stores. Here's a site that gives a guide to Thrift Store locations. I always refer to it when I am heading out to new territory. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/
 
There really isnt any hassle with crossing the border with used gear. I've crossed between with sometimes 15 or 20 pieces of gear in my Suburban (both directions) and not once has an eyelash been batted. If you want to test the theory, then go to Value Village and get a $6 vcr or something and cross with it..if you get a hassle then it wont be a problem to dump it.
If the gear was all new in boxes unopened, that may be a different thing.
If all thats not a good idea..you could check in with Last Vestige Records in Albany, on Quail St I think. They usually have a few used tt in the store, but theres a guy that they would know 15 or 20 miles north of Albany (right along The Northway, 87 North) that had a small storefront full of used gear, and did repairs in the back, if he is still there...I was last there about 5 years ago.

I'm wondering of the place you are thinking of is Stereo Exchange in Clifton Park, NY. The owner is Ron, and he usually has SS stuff. Anything tube that he might get doesn't last long. If he's still there, his hours might be a challenge for some....not open on the weekends.

Another option for records around Albany is the River Street Beat Shop in Troy, NY. The owner is Jimmy, and he's got a good eye for vinyl. Most of what's for sale in his shop is in really nice condition, and he's got a lot of it.
 
Attend one of the bi-annual "Frankenfests" put on by AKers here in New England. In my opinion, it is by far and away the very place to view/test/purchase authentic audio gear from extremely reliable sources here in the Northeast. Keep an eye out in the "Events & Happenings" forum for the next scheduled get together in Clinton MA. Should be around the end of October.

Also, it's a great place to meet fellow audiophiles and find new friends!
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering of the place you are thinking of is Stereo Exchange in Clifton Park, NY. The owner is Ron, and he usually has SS stuff. Anything tube that he might get doesn't last long. If he's still there, his hours might be a challenge for some....not open on the weekends.

Another option for records around Albany is the River Street Beat Shop in Troy, NY. The owner is Jimmy, and he's got a good eye for vinyl. Most of what's for sale in his shop is in really nice condition, and he's got a lot of it.

Ron's still there, but it's the Stereo Workshop, here's his web page: http://stereowksp.com/

Last Vestige has some hardware, but it's low-end beat up stuff mostly. Lately not much in the record dept either.

+1 on the River St Beat Shop...on the same St is Dinosaur BBQ and Bella Napoli (great pastry shop)
 
I use to go to an outside market in Hadley Mass, which is on your map by North Hampton. Also down by Palmer Mass, I hear there is a group shop which has a dealer who stocks gear. Time your trips to include a trip to Brimfield. It happens 3 time a year. Sturbridge is also loaded with antique shops. Not many records stores around this area now though. I live in Spencer Mass, which is east on RT 9 from the map that you posted.
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering of the place you are thinking of is Stereo Exchange in Clifton Park, NY. The owner is Ron, and he usually has SS stuff. Anything tube that he might get doesn't last long. If he's still there, his hours might be a challenge for some....not open on the weekends.

Another option for records around Albany is the River Street Beat Shop in Troy, NY. The owner is Jimmy, and he's got a good eye for vinyl. Most of what's for sale in his shop is in really nice condition, and he's got a lot of it.

If Rons place is next to a bowling alley (I had to use their ATM to get the cash to pay him) then I guess thats the place.
If you want tube goodness and other nice gear, contact AK member Tinkerbelle and take a ride down around Red Hook/Rhinebeck/Hyde Park area, plenty of antique shops, eateries, and whatever else that occurs in quaint little villages that swell up on the weekends.
Next time I go down, I will have to check the place in Troy...sounds exciting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom