• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

“Check DSP ROM” Error on SR5001. Desperately need help/guidance on a journey through DIY repair (very little prior experience).

24hrPrtyPrsn

New Member
Hi, I have an older model Marantz receiver and I’ve been getting a recurring error that says “Check DSP ROM”. Started to take it apart to get into the guts of the unit and am finding that I have almost no clue what I’m doing once I get there. EEK.
First off, I do want to try to fix this unit because I have some time on my hands and I’m happy to give a DIY repair a fair shot, especially since the receiver is basically just a doorstop without any sound going through it. Secondly, finding parts for 20+ yr old unit is not the easiest, but I was wondering if it would be possible to simply use a different/better DSP than is OEM instead.

Has anyone attempted such a repair? Is it possible to use a different DSP? Do I need a new DSP or is possible the ROM simply got corrupted?
 
Register to hide this ad
DSP = Digital Signal Processor. It's the computing chip. It runs programs stored in memory to do it's job(s). That memory is the ROM in the message and means Read Only Memory. It could be either of those or anything else on the common data and address lines that is causing the ROM to be misread. A good fast scope may help you see a bad address or data line. Not an easy fix. Maybe impossible without sourcing another control board.
 
Doubtful a reset would fix this, you could try a firmware update as per the service manual pg 9,10,,,
 
DSP = Digital Signal Processor. It's the computing chip. It runs programs stored in memory to do it's job(s). That memory is the ROM in the message and means Read Only Memory. It could be either of those or anything else on the common data and address lines that is causing the ROM to be misread. A good fast scope may help you see a bad address or data line. Not an easy fix. Maybe impossible without sourcing another control board.
I gave up on it, thank you so much for replying to me though!
 
Back
Top Bottom