• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

+1 for an audio research section (Audiokarma Manufacturers Forums)

While we're at it, let's have a Class D Forum, a Bel Canto Forum, a Dahlquist Forum, a Sennheiser Forum...

cubdog
 
Maybe we are not as classy as some of you are.....I'm good with that:thmbsp:

Woh! A little hostile are we? No need in getting all bent out of shape my friend. This isn't a p_$$ing contest! Lower your guns. Nobody fired on you! Show some class. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Woh! A little hostile are we? No need in getting all bent out of shape my friend. This isn't a p_$$ing contest! Lower your guns. Nobody fired on you! Show some class. :thmbsp:

I didn't take Kermit's response that way. Maybe you are over reacting?

cubdog
 
Last edited:
Woh! A little hostile are we? No need in getting all bent out of shape my friend. This isn't a p_$$ing contest! Lower your guns. Nobody fired on you! Show some class. :thmbsp:

No hostility at all chief..No pissing contest either...I enjoy my "Mid-Fi" gear...I have found what I like. You have found what you like. No biggie. Making another forum will just isolate yet another brand. I rarely go into the Yamaha forum, the Pioneer forum, the Klipsch forum. I rather hear of stuff in the general forums, and get to learn more than having to go searching to an isolated (In what appears to be 5 to 10 people) for what your proposing, to find anything useful. There are lots of manufactures not represented on AK. So what.
 
cubdog,
That is your opinion. I feel differently about it.


kermit z,
If you took the time to read what I said previously, then you would realize that I suggested that we have a forum where all high end is rolled in together like just dave had suggested and I can assure you there would be a lot more than 5, or 10 people in there! I don't want to go to the general section and scan over a bunch of "mid-fi" in which I have no interest in. I don't know why you even bothered posting on this thread if you are satisfied with "mid-fi". If this proposal went into affect, all it would do is weed out all the high end gear you supposedly have no interest in anyway.
 
Very few brands have enough owners to maintain a robust subforum. I'm quite sure my beloved Madison Fielding, Radio Craftsmen, and Fairchild subforums would see ten people who accidently click on them in a spastic moment, but threads would die in a day, unlike the three days it takes in Vintage SS or Tubes.:D

Why advocate to be marginalized, when you could actually post reviews and make comments in a subforum that actually gets lots of traffic? Outside of a mistaken snob-like belief that quality begets a subforum, there is absolutely no reason to banish ARC products to Siberia.

Don't believe me? You can post it in Vintage SS with over 365,000 posts or in Tubes with 285,000 posts, or you can compete with the Linn subforum (winner of the worst Siberian exile) with 1200 posts. Be careful what you ask for.
 
Very few brands have enough owners to maintain a robust subforum. I'm quite sure my beloved Madison Fielding, Radio Craftsmen, and Fairchild subforums would see ten people who accidently click on them in a spastic moment, but threads would die in a day, unlike the three days it takes in Vintage SS or Tubes.:D

Why advocate to be marginalized, when you could actually post reviews and make comments in a subforum that actually gets lots of traffic? Outside of a mistaken snob-like belief that quality begets a subforum, there is absolutely no reason to banish ARC products to Siberia.

Don't believe me? You can post it in Vintage SS with over 365,000 posts or in Tubes with 285,000 posts, or you can compete with the Linn subforum (winner of the worst Siberian exile) with 1200 posts. Be careful what you ask for.

Read the whole thread. I and others would like a high end section with many companies rolled into one forum which would cover companies like ARC, CJ, Pass, Krell, Mark Levinson, Sonic Frontiers etc. etc. It's been suggested to replace the Linn section with this. I still think it's a good idea. :yes:
 
Actually, I read the whole thread, and your consistent voice in numerous posts was advocating for an exclusive ARC subforum, with one sentence in a solo post advocating for a high end subforum. Strange thing, there already is a high end forum, albeit new high end.

If you want to talk exclusively about high end, and vintage high end, there certainly are other websites that are more inviting than AK. Other voices, and YMMV.

Every website has dreck and diamonds, it looks like you need to adjust your filter accordingly.:yes:
 
Read the whole thread. I and others would like a high end section with many companies rolled into one forum which would cover companies like ARC, CJ, Pass, Krell, Mark Levinson, Sonic Frontiers etc. etc. It's been suggested to replace the Linn section with this. I still think it's a good idea. :yes:

And who decides what is high end and what isn't? Think about it. Your idea will only cause discord and piss a bunch of members off.

cubdog
 
And who decides what is high end and what isn't? Think about it. Your idea will only cause discord and piss a bunch of members off.

cubdog

This is a good point and pissing off a bunch of members is the last thing I want to do. I started thinking this very thing well into this post and it would be hard to draw a line. I initially just thought that since ARC had been around forever with great offerings and is still around kind of like McIntosh, I thought it was deserving. I guess the problem is it isn't as well known as Mac. It seems too difficult to make it work as a high end forum and it will be a ghost town like Linn on its own. Point taken.
 
This is a good point and pissing off a bunch of members is the last thing I want to do. I started thinking this very thing well into this post and it would be hard to draw a line. I initially just thought that since ARC had been around forever with great offerings and is still around kind of like McIntosh, I thought it was deserving. I guess the problem is it isn't as well known as Mac. It seems too difficult to make it work as a high end forum and it will be a ghost town like Linn on its own. Point taken.

I'm not trying to be difficult either. My question was sincere. I stated previously in jest about some other possible forums. Actually I would love to see a class D forum and there are alot of members here using class D amps. The problem is where to stop. There can't be a forum to support all our individual interests. Sometimes too much is not a good thing.

cubdog
 
kermit z,
If you took the time to read what I said previously, then you would realize that I suggested that we have a forum where all high end is rolled in together like just dave had suggested and I can assure you there would be a lot more than 5, or 10 people in there! I don't want to go to the general section and scan over a bunch of "mid-fi" in which I have no interest in. I don't know why you even bothered posting on this thread if you are satisfied with "mid-fi". If this proposal went into affect, all it would do is weed out all the high end gear you supposedly have no interest in anyway.

I took the time to read it. Thats why you got the response you did. Sorry for hurting your feelings, as that was not what I had intended. The title of this thread is "+1 for an audio research section (Audiokarma Manufacturers Forums) ". Nothing about all high end. I'll keep out of your future threads:thmbsp:
 
I love Audio Research gear but it has always been expensive when new. Holds it's value well used, well made and designed, and usually out of my budget. General tube forums are fine here.
 
I took the time to read it. Thats why you got the response you did. Sorry for hurting your feelings, as that was not what I had intended. The title of this thread is "+1 for an audio research section (Audiokarma Manufacturers Forums) ". Nothing about all high end. I'll keep out of your future threads:thmbsp:

My feelings wern't hurt at all. I just felt like you were taking an uncalled for jab. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned with zero hard feelings. Sometimes it is hard to tell how a person is trying to come off via text... "The text robot effect". Yes, the title of the thread was +1 for an audio research section (Audiokarma Manufacturers Forums), but as ideas and comments progress, so can ones opinion, unless they are a close minded individual which I am not. There is no reason for a grudge to be held by any member who participated in this thread IMO.

kermit z,
There is no reason for you to keep out of any future threads, as that was never my intentions. That's where you went with it, not me and that is completely your choice either way. When I was stating for members to read the whole thread, I wasn't trying to be rude. I simply was trying to catch them up with the thought process of the thread, assuming they read the title and maybe the first post as some members often do. I myself have been guilty of this. I think the ones who assumed I was being rude fell victim to "The text robot effect" as well. Sometimes a comment can be misread when you can't see the emotions /expressions etc. of the ones saying it.

I'm not a person who considers myself more classy because I own some audio research gear... not an audio snob at all! I still own some Pioneer, Luxman, Harman Kardon, and Sansui etc, it's just not where my current interest is and I hope that I wasn't taken as such. This is one of the reasons that I bailed on the thread idea after further discussion and personal thought. I never wanted to make anyone feel as if there stereo wasn't good enough to be posted under such a forum, or isolating members.

The initial thread idea evolved as a result of my passion for ARC and the thought that it was a deserving company for a spot here at our wonderful club. After further discussion and seeing how the idea was affecting members I do not wish to push the idea any further. Unity amongst members is more important. Best to all.
 
Last edited:
It's a shame that a lot of the members here have no clue what quality options are out there, even in there price range.

I have a feeling, a lot of people do know what other options here are, even in the more esoteric lines, if not by name, by quality of sound.....

But with that said, if you do much reading around here, there's a lot of people that can't afford as much as you think they can. A lot of members here scraping by a the thrifts to feed their hobby, and even then have some hard times with some of the prices in the thrift for a nice piece..

And for those that do have the money for the nicer stuff, a huge chunk of them prefer to find a really nice old piece, especially a giant receiver, and dump a lot of cash into those to have them restored back to original or better wit mods to improve them...

No idea why, but the biggest group of people here are more proud of how little they've spent on a system that sound pretty decent, but it's still not on par of some of the higher end gear.. around here 30 year old electronics is the preferred sound. I mean.. how they sound now that all the caps are wore out.. and if they are too far gone.. then they recap them.. but keep on going..
 
I agree. Many here do know there options and choose wisely, but many do not. I've personaly had discussions with both types. I also realize that many (including myself) here are on a major budget. This is why it took me a long time to buy, repair, sell, and trade my way to my current system.

similost said "And for those that do have the money for the nicer stuff, a huge chunk of them prefer to find a really nice old piece, especially a giant receiver, and dump a lot of cash into those to have them restored back to original or better wit mods to improve them..."

My 1987 audio research SP-9 (25 yr. old original version) modded to mkIII status cost me $850. (roughly the cost of a monster receiver) on the used market. I flipped several thrift, Craigslist, and Goodwill finds to buy it and other key pieces, so I feel that I have the right to be very proud of it. My stereo started out as whatever I could find to put together. I've owned a little used vintage gear from just about every company. At one time, I had two rooms slammed full of salvaged gear... Some nice, some not so nice like many others.

My goal roughly five years ago was to buy, repair, sell, and flip my way to better and better until I was content. I watched Craiglist constantly and scooped up things I could afford which I knew could be fixed up and sold for more. Not too long ago, I liquidated my massive stash for the most part and converted the funds into something that always to me was just a dream stereo. I have reached my initial goal with minimal cash invested considering what I have, but at the cost of many hours of labor.

similost said "No idea why, but the biggest group of people here are more proud of how little they've spent on a system that sound pretty decent, but it's still not on par of some of the higher end gear.. around here 30 year old electronics is the preferred sound."

I think that owning a system that has very little invested into it that sounds great is something to be VERY proud of!! I'm totally on board with that comment and sometimes find myself a bit jealous everytime I have the priveledge to sit down and enjoy one. I too enjoy the 30 yr old sound, hence my choice of an ARC piece from the 80's.

similost, I only quoted what you said, because I wanted to clarify myself on certain things. Take care.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom