• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

12au7 in place of 12at7 in tuner

Carbsandcaps

Super Member
I’m up to my eyeballs in 12au7’s. There’s alot of tuners and receivers out there that use 12at7’s in the fm mixer/ oscillators. What happens if I put a 12au7 in place of the 12at7? Yes I’m aware that I can get a 12at7 for $10 but I’m just curious what happens.
 
Register to hide this ad
the internal capacitance is a fair bit different so expect it to run off frequency. It might function but I doubt it would function overly well.
 
12AT7 is a High Frequency triode, 12AU7 is not.

Originally designed for TV tuners.

They will usually not work or only work on the low end of the dial.
 
6DT8 is a good sub for ECC85/6AQ8. 12AZ7 is near exact sub for 12AT7, though it draws more heater current. 12AT7s (and other FM front end tubes) have a hard life - they have to be biased hot to work well at 100 MHz.
 
yeah I've replaced a number of weak 12AT7 tubes in tuners. Often bad only on one side though.
 
I’m up to my eyeballs in 12au7’s. There’s alot of tuners and receivers out there that use 12at7’s in the fm mixer/ oscillators. What happens if I put a 12au7 in place of the 12at7? Yes I’m aware that I can get a 12at7 for $10 but I’m just curious what happens.
There is no shortage of 12AT7 tubes NOS or new production.
If You have a surplus of 12AU7 then i suggest you sell some of them to pay for the correct tube.
 
Back
Top Bottom