• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

will this Accurian amp adequately power a pair of Boston Acoustic CR7 speakers.
just came across a pair for $80 and a quick search shows them to be good (even though old).

Frequency Response (±3 dB) 52-20,000 Hz z
Recommended Amplifier Power 15-100 watts
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Sensitivity [1 watt (2.83V) at 1m] 88 dB nit Unit Size 6 1/2" (165mm)
Tweeter dome 1" (25mm)
Crossover Frequency 2800Hz

the other option is the
AudioSource 50
but the reviews mention a 'pop' and the external power source doesn't seem to be too good.
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-25-Watt-Stereo-Black/dp/B004U29IGG
 
will this Accurian amp adequately power a pair of Boston Acoustic CR7 speakers.
just came across a pair for $80 and a quick search shows them to be good (even though old).

So we can assume that you already have an Accurian? If so the only way to find out is to try it. I use my Accurian with Harman EPI 100s, run near field (42"), as computer monitors. They appear to have very similar specs as the BAs you are considering. The amp lacks good highs so I use some EQ. Otherwise it powers them nicely.
 
Just started using mine again. In the garage, with a Grant DAC as the pre. driving a pair of Altec 9872-8A's quite nicely.
 
Funny, people are selling these with mods done for $40 on eBay.
Wouldn't it make sense to buy a Lepai for $20 instead?

I wouldn't mind having an un-modded one with the Tx included though...
 
I bought one of those tried the mod and got no sound. What a waste of $15.

cubdog

I forgot to mention that I finally got mine working. I don't use it but at least now I don't feel bad about wasting $15. Actually it doesn't sound bad for $15.

cubdog
 
Still using mine in the garage with a DAC-9 as a pre-amp. Bypassed the tone and volume controls and put some blackgate caps in. Pretty nice sounding with Altec 9872-8A'
 
Found another version, Radio Shack Digital Wireless Audio Link, CAT. NO. 15-1974, at the GW today. About 25 Wpc, TDA7265 chip amp. Beefy power transformer and heat sink, cheezy plastic case, like the Accurian. No tone controls to deal with.

Removed the wireless receiver and antennae. Cut hole in back panel. Superglued a Panlong HDMI DAC to back panel. Soldered three wires (L/R/Gnd) to the DAC, shove other ends of wires into the header. Plug in Chromecast, Power on, dial up an album in Deezer, and start streaming!

IMG_20141012_161730.jpg


IMG_20141012_161447.jpg
 
Found another version, Radio Shack Digital Wireless Audio Link, CAT. NO. 15-1974, at the GW today. About 25 Wpc, TDA7265 chip amp. Beefy power transformer and heat sink, cheezy plastic case, like the Accurian. No tone controls to deal with.

Removed the wireless receiver and antennae. Cut hole in back panel. Superglued a Panlong HDMI DAC to back panel. Soldered three wires (L/R/Gnd) to the DAC, shove other ends of wires into the header. Plug in Chromecast, Power on, dial up an album in Deezer, and start streaming!

IMG_20141012_161730.jpg


IMG_20141012_161447.jpg

nice
 
so are there any AK'ER'S still using the accurian amps?, i just picked up an NOS one and will want to make the mod, but from what i read in the first post of this ancient thread seams to be one version used to make the mod, but i've also seen a couple youtube vids that are a little different from that first post, was hoping someone could chime in with the proper way of making the mod so i don't mess mine up, thanks ahead of time............:scratch2:
 
Bought mine from a member here a few years ago. I use it at work with a pair of psb alpha LR1 speakers and I think it's perfect for the space.
 
My two are currently on hiatus because all my systems play lower than their 50Hz cutoff. When I took one out of my PC system not long ago and replaced it with a real integrated amp the difference was just short of astounding. But that little Accurian is great in the right setting.
 
thanks for the reply's, but i'm still concerned about making the proper mod...............

I have two of them and did the mod as per the first post. I enjoy one at work with a Sony SCPH 1001 as the source along with streaming from a DELL desktop. Works great there.:banana::thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom