• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

16 + 8 ohms vintage hifi speakers

victor07

New Member
hi all ! Can I use 2 pairs of speaker of different ohms? ( one pair is 8 ohms and the second pair is 16 ohms ) if so how would it afffect the sound ? how should I pair them to one amp ( mi pre amp is a sansui CA3000 +BA3000 that allows to connect 2 pairs of speakers ) ? should i use a mixer if i want to have different volumes for each pair ? ( my plan is to use this for a small hifi bar and have different volumes according to the place inside the bar ) many thanks for any information. apologies if this topic has already been discussed! cheers
 
Register to hide this ad
It all depends on the amp. If it's rated to use say, two sets of 8 ohm speakers at the same time, then using 16 ohm and 8 ohm is fine.
If using two pairs of 8 ohm speakers at the same time it equates to the amp seeing a 4 ohm load. So using 16 ohm and 8 ohm would be around 6 ohm. Amps are wired to run two sets of speakers in parallel.
If you wired these speakers in series connected to only the "A" speaker terminals, it would be 24 ohm. Volume between the two pairs will probably be different, but maybe not enough to be really noticable.
I'm guessing one pair is rated to handle more wattage than the other, so keep that in mind when cranking the volume.
I'm pretty certain you can do this as long as your amp I rated to handle a 4 ohm load since a 4 to 6 ohm load will make the output transistors run hotter. But if the amp is rated to handle two pairs of 8 ohm speakers at the same time you should be fine.
If I'm wrong about using 16 and 8 ohm speakers together hopefully someone will chime in on the subject.
I'm most cases you DONT want to use two pairs of 4 ohm speakers at the same time. Your amp would see a 2 ohm load and probably fry the output transistors.
 
Last edited:
I have run both 16 and 8 ohm speakers connected to several different amps over the years, they worked fine. I say hookem up and listen.
 
Yes, it is safe to wire a pair of 8Ω and a pair of 16Ω speakers in parallel. The resulting amp load will be a nominal 5.3Ω, which your Sansui should be able to handle no problem. If you want to use one amp for two pairs of speakers and control the volume of each one separately, then you will need L-pads to control the volume of each speaker. The resistance of each L pad should match the nominal impedance of each speaker. Parts express carries these.
 
..Can I use 2 pairs of speaker of different ohms? ( one pair is 8 ohms and the second pair is 16 ohms ) .. how should I pair them to one amp ( ..Sansui BA-3000 that allows to connect 2 pairs of speakers )
@victor07

Look on the back of your amplifier also the per the instructions that Sansui provided in their Owners/Users manual with regards to operating the speakers one pair at at time and both pairs at a time

Screenshot 2025-03-23 at 18.04.46.png
Screenshot 2025-03-23 at 18.01.33.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom