• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

16 ohm speaker on 8 ohm tap

Mike Cole

Active Member
I tried the search engine but it keeps giving me back a blank page. Maybe someone can answer this for me. I am thinking of buying a Leben CS300XS tube amp. It has taps for 4, 6 and 8 ohm speakers, but mine are from a 1957 Ampex console and look like they are 16 ohm. I stuck an ohm meter across the terminals and got back 13 ohms. So what would be the affect on the sound if I use 16 ohm speakers on an 8 ohm tap?
Thanks,
Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Mike, I was getting the same blank page so I asked the moderator. It comes back blank when the search peramiters are too vague. Cheers.
 
i had same question before regarding using 8ohm tab of a tube amp for 16ohm altec horns. while it may not fully utilize the amp's output, should be fine.
 
The amplifier will need to drive harder to get the output you desire with a 16 ohm speaker oppose an 8 ohm. It won't hurt the amplifier because the load is lighter thus, the amplifier not being stressed as hard in comparison to an 8 or 4 ohm load.

The only downfall about the whole scenerio is instead of having the volume on 5, you will now need it on 8.

Best Regards,
 
Back
Top Bottom