• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1964 Heathkit AA-13 monos

gonzomeep

Super Member
Howdy Gents,
I've got a pretty nice pair of Heathkit AA-13 mono integrated amps. These are 14watt EL84 based. They need some TLC. The tube sockets are worn and all the switches are noisy. I get audio out of both, but with considerable "roar" and "whirr" sounds in the background, and I know that the tubes are good, so it must be the worn/dirty parts. I'd like to turn these into straight power amps to power the HF section of my quad-amped speaker system. Any thoughts? Anyone have a schematic? Experience with 'em? I'm spoiled by my VTL EL34 based running the mid's. I've got "tube disease" now-thanks Dave!

I find myself spending way too much time looking at valve amps on ebay now :yes: :D :music: .
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeh, but amps are easy to sneek in and hide, it's the speakers that are the real problem.:D I'm working on a Heathkit EL 84 intergrated now myself, all on one chassis though. The big issues I have found are the solder joints on the thick ground buss (which look to be soldered, but can be slid up and down the buss), and of course all the caps measure way high. I don't know if your amps have the thick buss or not, but I've been using a small wire wheel on a Dremel tool to polish said buss, then reflowing all the joints. On the plus side, it's very roomy and easy to work on (probably because it was designed as a kit). I'll look around for a schematic for you and post a link if i can find one, Jay

Edit-These guys have the manual for sale (no afil) http://www.w7fg.com/manuals.php?manufacturer=Heathkit&center=
 
Thank you! I wish these babies were up and running to listen to when I get my Melos GK-1 preamp. Tubes, sweet,sweet tubes.
 
Congrats on your acquisition! :thmbsp: I don't really have an opinion (or useful info) on Heathkit tube amps, since I've never heard them yet, but I love my AA-11 preamp. :smoke: You sound like me, I'm a sucker for tubes, period, and we'll learn more in time. :yes: BTW, love your new sig. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom