• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1965 Garrard Model 50 - why is it so good?

I can understand your enthusiasm. :thumbsup: I have a recently repaired Garrard Model 40B with a Shure SC35C that I like quite well.

View attachment 1768167
The 40B was a real workhorse and could always be made to work right. They had a couple issues, mostly lubricants hardening and the top trim of the headshell coming loose allowing the sled contacts to lose contact with the connectors... a bit of superglue fixes that, sometimes cue would lose damping fluid, not fun. Also the trip mechanism would get stiff but could be removed and cleaned without removing the cam. Nice practical record changer that would fit and track a magnetic cartridge. The 40B and some of the BSR changers of the day were quite reliable... could put on a stack of records and expect it to play them without a problem.
 
So glad you posted this!

First, very nice resto job!!

For the last 5 years I’ve been trying to remember what Garrard table my father had when I was growing up. My Dad doesn’t remember.

No doubt it was the Model 50! Looked exactly like yours!

It was a great table! He ran a Shure cart on it, likely the M91. I inherited all of my parents records, played on that Model 50. All of them are in superb condition. Even when played using a line contact stylus. That Model 50 took great care of his records and sounded SO good! He had an HH Scott receiver and Wharfdale W70D Speakers.

So, congrats on such a nice job and sharing it with us! My first and best memories of playing LPs are on that table. He kept it until 1982. But it wasn’t outdone by the Pioneer table he replaced it with.

So, I’m not surprised at all that you like that Garrard so much.

Enjoy!!
 
Always had a soft spot for those autoslim Garrards. Many could perform really well if you were lucky.
Garrard were already however starting to play spare part bin games with some of these decks. It's why some countries got better motors while sharing the same model No.

If you got a good 'un, in a decent plinth, set up right with a Shure or Pickering cart it would sound really dynamic and tunefull.
Some variations even offered anti-skate, though of debatable use as I'd recommend tracking at around 3gm+ on the autos.

Actually I'd rather like one of these as a dedicated 45 player, must keep an eye out :)
 
Hello every one, I´m new in this world and I want to ask about experience, I have a Gerrard Model 50, is from my grandma, I want to make this work because hace some years sleepping in a box, first I need to put speakers, somebody know what kind of speaker use? I remember this was direct conect to the disk player. Somebody know what kind of needle is the correct to the player?

Thank´s a lot for your time.
 
You need an amplifier in the mix between the record player and the speakers. As to what needle, thats going to depend on the cartridge, and the cartridge may depend on the amplifier. Two basic style options exist, a ceramic or a magnetic which require different inputs on the amplifier.

basically without more info its impossible to be more specific.
 
Garrard Model 50.

Question? Is this 50 a turntable only or a turntable attached to an amp. Years ago I had one with a built in amp. Built by KLH. For a cartridge, find a Shure M44. Even though they are NLA, I buy used ones with or without a stylus. Gary at Voiceofmusic has replacements. Keep extras on hand. Had one on my KLH back in the 70s! Speakers is a wide open option. I am assuming yours has a built amp. Have a pr of Pioneer SP-BS21-LR an Andrew Jones series. Use as rear speakers on my LR system. Like the way they sound. Check Ebay. Look locally. Found AR 2AX at the landfill. Used on rear speakers in my work room. Also found a pr of Cerwin Vega (no model nos) at the dump. Almost left them. Couldn’t. Cabinets and grills were mint. Eight inch two ways. Woofers were shot. Had a nice pr of replacements on hand. Check out places like Good Will. Also, sign up here as a subscriber . Best $25 I spend a year. Got the above Piojeers for $70 shipped off Bartertown. Good luck.
 
if its built into an amp we'd need to know if it can support a mag cartridge. Plenty of the all in one rigs did not. Pics of this mystery beast would answer a lot of questions.
 
Thank´s evenryone, I´ll try to get some detail pictures to show you and see what are we talking about, I don´t remember if we use this player with an amplifier, i think we used, because in the desk is a receiber with amp, so I think is all conected.

Thank´s again and see you soon
 
Looking good. Nice job! I don't really have a dog in this but do you suppose a run of the mill v15 with a .7mil conical tracking at 3.5g qualifies for this type of benchmarking?
Too compliant. Try a M44-7 or -C. More appropriate. Remember 2.5 grams is the lightest this will track and trip it's automatic mechanism reliably at. Stanton 500 AL heavy duty appropriate or comparable Pickering V-15 at same forces.
 
Back
Top Bottom