• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1990-2009 alternative/indie/punk/etc thats worthwhile?

treserious

Post Punk Junkie
We had a great thread recently for listing great punk/post punk/new wave/alternative from the 70's and 80's.

Now I would love to see what everyone is listening to in newer stuff, from 1990 onwards.

here are some that I listen to that are more current:

The postal service
arcade fire
explosions in the sky
pelican
broken social scene
interpol
the editors
the black keys
bell orchestre
blind melon
caribou
centerfold
chicks on speed
the damned
death from above
the decemberists
demented are go
dirty pretty things
do make say think
dustin kensrue
the faint
franz ferdinand
the harlem shakes
isis
jose gonzales
le tigre
modest mouse


more to come.
 
Register to hide this ad
Material Issue: 'International Pop Overthrow' and the related 12" singles released along with it. Definately worth the effort to locate these on Vinyl.
 
The Flaming Lips- The Soft Bulletin (1999)

Called "The Pet Sounds of the 90s"....my junior year in high school. Great, truly great.
 
Sire Records' Winter Music Samplers, the "Just Say Yes" series, I'm not sure which Vol. but, Just Say Mao is the title. (It was my avatar for a while)
 
If I could ever decipher what all these genres, sub-genres, sub-sub-genres, and the branches and off-shoots of each actually meant, I could probably list some stuff that fit.
 
If I could ever decipher what all these genres, sub-genres, sub-sub-genres, and the branches and off-shoots of each actually meant, I could probably list some stuff that fit.

okay, well..umm

anything that doesnt fall into pop rock, classic rock, classical, jazz, blues, opera, country, folk, hip hop, yet may potentially take influences from the above....

I guess that doesn't help much.

here's a better clue, stuff that wasn't too mainstream, and usually got more airplay on college radio.
 
My Bloody Valentine
Dinosaur Jr.
A Place To Bury Strangers
Deerhunter
Wilco
Flaming Lips
Mercury Rev
Sleater-Kinney
The Ponys
Spiritualized
Yo La Tengo
 
Material Issue: 'International Pop Overthrow' and the related 12" singles released along with it. Definately worth the effort to locate these on Vinyl.

I don't have any of this on vinyl. But I have almost all their catalog on CD, and these guys are truly worth seeking out.
Especially the live EP. :thmbsp::thmbsp: Which is more of an LP than the cover/credits let on. There are like 12 unlisted bonus tracks.:yes:
 
...anything that doesnt fall into pop rock, classic rock, classical, jazz, blues, opera, country, folk, hip hop, yet may potentially take influences from the above....

I guess that doesn't help much.

Good guess.

here's a better clue, stuff that wasn't too mainstream, and usually got more airplay on college radio.

Probably depends on when (and where?) you attended college.
 
I would have expected to see "Death Cab For Cutie" included on such a list as this.

We had a great thread recently for listing great punk/post punk/new wave/alternative from the 70's and 80's.

Now I would love to see what everyone is listening to in newer stuff, from 1990 onwards.

here are some that I listen to that are more current:

The postal service
arcade fire
explosions in the sky
pelican
broken social scene
interpol
the editors
the black keys
bell orchestre
blind melon
caribou
centerfold
chicks on speed
the damned
death from above
the decemberists
demented are go
dirty pretty things
do make say think
dustin kensrue
the faint
franz ferdinand
the harlem shakes
isis
jose gonzales
le tigre
modest mouse


more to come.
 
I would have expected to see "Death Cab For Cutie" included on such a list as this.


not so much...I like the postal service, but death cab for cutie just annoys me, like pretty much most pop-punk-emo-screamo stuff thats come out in the last 10 years.
 
I consider this obscure genre my specialty.
For your listening pleasure:
Taking Back Sunday
Cartel
The Audition
Cute is What We Aim For
Ever We Fall
Anberlin
The Arctic Monkeys
Death Cab for Cutie
Thursday
Edison Glass
Fall Out Boy
Forever the Sickest Kids
Forgive Durden
The Hush Sound
Incubus
John Mayer
Just Surrender
The Matches
Mayday Parade
Motion City Soundtrack
Park
Say Anything
The Sophomore Attempt
Sparks the Rescue
The Spill Canvas
The Starting Line
Valencia
So They Say

Whew. Great stuff. I classify these bands as alt/indie/punk because they don't really fit into what I consider alt (Counting Crows, REM), or punk (Sex Pistols, Ramones, Clash). I guess I would call them indie, even though they are not independent. Indie College would be a good description. Not to be confused with Screamo (Underoath, Bullet for my Valentine). A very confusing genre, but very good stuff.
 
I consider this obscure genre my specialty.
For your listening pleasure:
...Fall Out Boy...Sparks the Rescue...

Seriously... unless you're a 13-14 year old girl these two bands are rather forgettable. (One of my daughter's teachers is the mom of one of the guys in Sparks. Total teenybopper cookie-cutter genre pop) It seems to me these days to be considered "groundbreaking" or "indie" you just need to adopt an abstract band name that has little logic to it, then copy the style of music that was popular 3 years prior... So a band called, lets say, "Purple Ear Shoe Hat" is the latest craze with 8th grade girls. (as the parent of one, Ive watched this trend come, go, develop and move on over the last 2 years.) Thank God she grew out of that My Chemical Romance emo/screamo crap though. (Took about 1 year to enter and exit) But the new stuff her and her friends like is really the same crap relabelled and remarketed with a different angle. Sparks is still small-time, but I remember when Jimmy Eat World was at that level... Look where they went.

(no offense, but thats just my take)

Where are the Nirvana's, the Pearl Jams, the Material Issues, the Suzanne Vega's the Clashes and Police(s) of today? As far as I can see they dont exist. Just a bunch of low-talent bands with randomly generated (Noun-adjective-Verb) band names.

(off soap box... again, hope no offense is taken)
 
Back
Top Bottom