• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1st ever Reel to Reel-All advice welcome

ken.nelson

ILIKETOROCK
Got my first reel to reel about a month, Pioneer 707. I am definetly hooked on the sound. But I have much to learn about a reel to reel. I would like to learn how to erase tapes. I have already gotten about a hundred reels, some factory recorded and some not(some I would like to record over). I have been looking for the spindle locks or whatever they are called. Also guess I need to get a demagnetizer. I have been cleaning the heads and rollers with cotton swab and alchol. Hope thats right. All advice welcome. Also learning quite expensive hobby. lol
 
Register to hide this ad
With the 707, the spindle locks are on the spindles themselves. Put the reel on, pull the front of the spindle out gently and give it a half turn.

Erasing tapes? Either just blank-record them or buy a bulk tape eraser. You got yourself a really great classic deck there.
 
Demagnetisers on the bay. Its where I got my latest one. If you're lookin for a bulk eraser, PM me
 
Wow

With the 707, the spindle locks are on the spindles themselves. Put the reel on, pull the front of the spindle out gently and give it a half turn.

Erasing tapes? Either just blank-record them or buy a bulk tape eraser. You got yourself a really great classic deck there.

Thank you alot. This site is great. Guess I need to donate soon. Plus I get to meet people with the same hobby and learn and make new friends. Kinda awesome when you learn something new, but also kinda makes me feel alittle stupid at times. LOL. Which does a better job- bulk eraser or blank recording? Thanks again and I do love the unit-great sound,great look
 
Blanking them (just recording silence) I think does a better job, but it puts that much more wear on the tape heads. For critical things, like studio and live masters, I'll do a real-time blanking pass first, but for vinyl dubs and such I'll just bulk them.
 
Get a Han-D-mag demagnetizer - don't get one of the cheapies on eBay. You will eventually need a splicer to fix broken tapes. Splicit.com has good supplies for R2R lovers. Stay away for Scotch and Amperex used tapes - cause what is termed 'SSS' = sticky shed syndrome - makes a mess on your heads and rollers.

I just got a NOS NIB (truly) Pioneer RT-707. I agree - a very fine deck and built to last. You may want to investigate replacing the counter belt - only belt on the unit.
 
Miner; Your statement about SSS is pretty generalized. I'll agree with some AMPEX tapes (456 IIRC, comes to mind), but in 40+ years of using Scotch tapes, I've never had SSS using Scotch.

Larry
 
If you want to erase a lot of tapes quickly, use a bulk eraser. Radio Shack used to sell them, but they can be purchased on eBay for cheap.

The Pioneer RT 707 is a great deck.
 
Expect to pay about $10 - $15 for used tapes. New tapes by ATR & RMG are about $22 for a 1800' length tape (that is 96 min {48 min/'side'} of recording time at 7.5 ips). For music I would not record at 3.75 ips. Listen to those who have used many Scotch brand tapes - the 5 I bought were all SSS candidates.
 
You'd be surprised how good a 707 sounds at 3.75 with a quality tape. Got yourself a good deck there, enjoy it!
 
Better than cassette at 1 7/8 ips, but why not get the best quality out of the 707 R2R? Have fun with it.
 
You'd be surprised how good a 707 sounds at 3.75 with a quality tape. Got yourself a good deck there, enjoy it!

Agree. I've been using mine to playback pre-recorded tapes - most of them (at least the rock ones) are 3.75 ips.

But a quality tape done at 7.5 ips makes you sit up and wonder why you ever even bought a CD (yeah, I know - the "convenience" and portability). But, let's face it - for "real" listening sessions - you sat in front of your main setup anyway! Might as well have fun threading the tapes and having something to look at while you listen!!
 
Congrates on the new deck :) You will have alot of fun with that. As to the speeds, I have quite a few pre-recorded tapes that run at 3.75. They sound great. I usually record at 7.5, but it will boil down to the length of tape and what I want to record. Obviously, the faster you record at, the faster you go thru tape. You'll get the hang of it soon enough
 
I have used Scotch 150 and BASF LP 35 without issues, but I would suggest using Maxell UD NOS for most of your recording, it seems to be the best tape I have used, although I have yet to use the new tapes being made. I kind of stick with what works. 707 is a nice unit, should bring you alot of fun and great listening. Keep it clean and lubed and you will have many years of great use. If you ever see a set of heads for your unit for sale or a parts donor unit, you may want to grab them and tuck them away for a rainy day. Enjoy!!! In my opinion you are now using the best format that is available to be used.
 
Back
Top Bottom