• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2 Proton D540 bridged for horizontal bi-amping: connections?

Labdrive

New Member
Hello. I have two Proton D540. I want to bridge each of them, and use each one to drive each of my two speakers (I think many people call this horizontal bi-amping). One amp (right) will serve as the amp driving the right speaker and also serve as preamp for the system, the other (left) will simply drive the left speaker. I have the user manual, in which they explain how to bridge one amp, and briefly allude (no details) to the use of another bridged D540 to drive another speaker, but based on this I tried connecting the system, and something is wrong: I get a strong buzzing sound (no music heard) in the left speaker, and a rather poor music sound in the right speaker. I search the forum here and I found one thread on bridging a D540, but it is not useful for my case.

In theory, it should not be difficult. For the right amp (also used as preamp), I put the bridge switch to ON, remove the jumper going from left preamp out to left main in (the bridged amp use the right preamp out and main in when bridged) and connect the speaker. The recommended speaker connection found in the user's manual is strange to me: they say to "connect the positive lead to the right channel red(+) post, and the negative lead to the left red(+) post, and not connecting anything to the black (-) posts." This is what I have done. Is this OK?

For the left amp, I have done the following: put the bridge switch to ON, and remove the jumpers for BOTH left and right preamp-out main in. To drive this amp, I have connected a RCA cable from the left preamp out of the right amp (the one serving as preamp) to the left amp right main in. And finally, I have connected the left speaker just as I did for the right amp that is, connect the positive lead to the right channel red(+) post, and the negative lead to the left red(+) post of the left amp.

What did I do wrong? Of course, I want to specify that both amps are working fine when used as regular (unbridged) amps driving each a set of speakers. Your help would be more than welcome!

Labdrive
 
Register to hide this ad
Based on your description it sounds right.


The reason the amplifier's left speaker (+) terminal is connected to the speaker's (-) terminal is because in bridged mode the left channel is working in opposite polarity. That is what makes bridging more powerful, having the sum of the voltage swing of both individual channels.
 
Last edited:
Based on your description it sounds right.


The reason the amplifier's left speaker (+) terminal is connected to the speaker's (-) terminal is because in bridged mode the left channel is working in opposite polarity. That is what makes bridging more powerful, having the sum of the voltage swing of both individual channels.

The left speaker should be connected on the negative (-) terminals? For both speakers, I have connected both the positive and negative leads to the left and right POSITIVE terminals on their respective amp, as suggested in the owner's manual:. I reasoned than the speakers connections should be the same for each amp-speaker combination: was I wrong?
 
Back
Top Bottom