• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2 way speaker cabinet design help

Andrew7dg

New Member
This all started when I bought a set of Imperial 6g, Dynaco A10s, A25vw.

then I found a set of marantz imperial 5g drivers (8" woofer) and crossovers Cheap.
Now the 6gs are sweet spot in the imperial speaker line up (And mine sound great) BUT my research has brought up that the 5gs are a good speaker also.

for a wood working project I thought it would be fun to build a set of cabinets for the drivers and crossovers.

however I don’t have any speaker Cabinet design experience

I think I have narrowed it down to two options though

1st try to recreate the imperial 5g cabinets - (I cant find any info or dimensions of the vent tube. ANY help on this would greatly be appreciated!)

2- build a cabinet Inbetween the A10 (6" woofer) and A25 (10” woofer)and put the imperial 5g drivers in there then tune it with stuffing the aperiodic opening. this would give me a better size cabinet than the large 5g cabinet plus the aperiodic design is more forgiving on cabinet size?

thoughts, opinions??
Picture taken from another thread but shows the size difference inbetween the imperial 5g and the Dynacos A25. Big bookshelf speakers
 

Attachments

  • B97B2D76-C0E3-4F44-8AF3-06C0536AA869.jpeg
    B97B2D76-C0E3-4F44-8AF3-06C0536AA869.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 23
Register to hide this ad
Here's a link to most of what you'll need to know about the 5g cabinets. Perhaps someone who has a pair can measure the vent dimensions for you. Unless you have the where with all to determine the Thiele/Small parameters, use the Marantz dimensions for the box. Use good quality wood like 3/4[' MDF, cabinet grade plywood, or better yet, Baltic birch plywood. Brace the cabinet well with a window-type brace between the woofer and tweeter. Make sure the speaker baffle edges are rounded over by at least 3/4" to minimize diffraction effects and improve imagining. And finally, line the cabinet with 1" fiberglass or dacron polyester batting.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/imp5g.html
 
Back
Top Bottom