• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2-Way vs. 3-way speakers

For me it really depends on the design. Often with a 2-way, you can tell just from looking at the specs that one or both of the drivers are being used a bit outside of their comfortable frequency range. On my JBL L100T (3-way) speakers, the 035Ti tweeter is crossed over at 4500hz. In the L60T (2-way), that same tweeter is crossed over at 2500hz. Asking a 1" dome tweeter to cover frequencies 2000hz lower than it was likely intended to seems like a bit of a stretch... and unsurprisingly, the L60T is by far the least popular speaker from that entire series.

The best 2-ways that I've heard are often the smaller bookshelves, like the JBL L20T. In those cases, it's almost more like a mid and a tweeter than a woofer and a tweeter, and the tweeter is usually not asked to go as low. Add in a subwoofer and you'd have yourself quite a system - though at that point you've basically re-created a 3-way system.

Another factor is that I like to play my music loud, and woofers/mids/tweeters just seem to perform better in that situation when they aren't asked to cover beyond their ideal frequency range.

But in the end, I'm not above simply listening to something and seeing how it sounds, even if it seems like something that should be a disaster on paper.
 
2.5 ways for me too, the benefit of being cheap while having more than 2 drivers,
I think 3 ways are like tube amplifiers, unless they are expensive, they`re crap..
 
3 ways can sound good if executed well with quality components. I own three pair of 2 ways, all with 8" woofers and 1" dome tweeters. On my main system I use two sets stacked. Works well.
 
For me it really depends on the design. Often with a 2-way, you can tell just from looking at the specs that one or both of the drivers are being used a bit outside of their comfortable frequency range. On my JBL L100T (3-way) speakers, the 035Ti tweeter is crossed over at 4500hz. In the L60T (2-way), that same tweeter is crossed over at 2500hz. Asking a 1" dome tweeter to cover frequencies 2000hz lower than it was likely intended to seems like a bit of a stretch... and unsurprisingly, the L60T is by far the least popular speaker from that entire series.

That really depends on the tweeter. Suppose that it was designed to go down to 2000Hz and was used in the 2-way and was chosen for the 3-way because economies of scale made it cheaper for both designs and it's behavior above 4500Hz was acceptable.

Both the 2-way and the 3-way would be using the speaker in it's "comfortable" range.
 
That really depends on the tweeter. Suppose that it was designed to go down to 2000Hz and was used in the 2-way and was chosen for the 3-way because economies of scale made it cheaper for both designs and it's behavior above 4500Hz was acceptable.

Both the 2-way and the 3-way would be using the speaker in it's "comfortable" range.

Absolutely. I was mainly referencing a specific model that I have experience with as an example of what I would consider to be a less than ideal 2-way. The JBL L60T is nearly universally regarded as having a big hole in the mid-range, and it's pretty obvious why.
 
Not all 2-ways are nice & tidy small....some are appliance huge!

I'm using some 2-way horns and the top horn is crossed electronically at 400hz.

The horns will drive you out of the room before you drive them to their peak performance.
 
Don't think it really makes a difference whether its a 2 way or 3 way. It all depends on the execution of the design. Just make sure what you pick is well executed and enjoy them, don't put any weight into how many "ways" it is.
 
I would respectfully say that if you can get a well designed 2-way it will sound better than a well designed 3-way. You're losing a crossover point so you have one less 'joint' to blend together.
 
I would respectfully say that if you can get a well designed 2-way it will sound better than a well designed 3-way. You're losing a crossover point so you have one less 'joint' to blend together.

The older Norman Labs were all two way. My model 9s sound really good for two way speakers
 
2 way

I will keep my big 2 ways. It's easier to make a great sounding 2 way than it is to make a great sounding 3 way. I also prefer a compression driver for the high end.
 

Attachments

  • Altec and jbl-4430 005.jpg
    Altec and jbl-4430 005.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom