• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

$200 for bookshelf speakers... rebuilt B+W or Klipsch Reference?

Andy Magner

New Member
Im setting up my first real turntable setup, and so far I have a Technics SL20 with a 90s Pioneer Reciever. I've got a small LA apartment living room that I need bookshelf speakers for, and have more or less $200 to spend. My dad is wanting me to go new, and doesn't like risking used equipment, but I'd like to extend my budget quality wise by looking new.

For New I'm looking at a pair of Klipsch Reference R-15s, however I've found a pair of Bowers and Wilkins speakers that have been rebuilt for the same price. The owner took the mid/bass from the B+W CM1 that had a damaged tweeter and rebuilt it with some new 25mm Mirage tweeters that are "used in most of the top level Mirage of this size." I don't know anything about this tweeter, but the seller has many rebuilt B+W speakers due to the exposed tweeters being so fragile.

Should I play it safe and go with the New Klipsch References? I really like the B+Ws, but I'm nervous of any risk.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
If you can listen to them it would be easier to make a decision as to which one sounds the best to you. Think about this : if something were to go wrong with the used/rebuilt B&W's, you would never hear the end of it from dear old Dad. There are some pretty good brand new speakers in your price range but if you can bump it up to $250 there are better ones that we can recommend. Tell us more about your situation, how big is the room, how loud do you listen and what music do you like. Do you want some good bass or tons of bloated,boomy bass?
 
If you can listen to them it would be easier to make a decision as to which one sounds the best to you. Think about this : if something were to go wrong with the used/rebuilt B&W's, you would never hear the end of it from dear old Dad. There are some pretty good brand new speakers in your price range but if you can bump it up to $250 there are better ones that we can recommend. Tell us more about your situation, how big is the room, how loud do you listen and what music do you like. Do you want some good bass or tons of bloated,boomy bass?
Thanks! I could be willing to go up to $250 if it really offers a lot more. Like I said I'm building a turntable setup with an aim at listening to mostly older records, but I also have a decent new vinyl collection. I mainly listen to stuff like Simon + Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, however I also occasionally play some old school rap and some house (like Justice and Daft Punk). So what I think would be important for me is very clear highs and mids, and a good tight bass, nothing too muddy or booming (I'm not a huge bass head). Also, I live in a smaller LA apartment, so volume isn't my main goal. I have a decent sized living room and will place speakers aside my TV (midfield range). Also being an architect/designer, the aesthetics of the speakers are a big selling point for me! I really appreciate the clean and simple B+W look. Thanks for any suggestions!
 
Kudos to you for considering your fathers advice. I was looking for bookshelf speakers and had not purchased a new pair of speakers since 1978. All vintage for me but wanted to explore the advancements in speaker technology in the past 40 years in a small form factor. Investigated speakers priced $200 - 300 and read as many recent threads here on the subject I could find. There are many fine speakers in that range.

I purchased a set of Klipsch KB-15 which I believe may be the predecessor to the R-15M. I reasoned that just a few years ago they were retailing for $250 and at $100(newegg) they were a can't miss trial opportunity. If needed I'll add a small sub and still be money ahead. Also, saw a number of reviews from people who paid the original price and later ordered other pairs when the price dropped to $150.

There are advantages to buying new such as warranties and return options should they not meet your listening expectations. There are also advantages to buying lines that have been discontinued in favor of the next series.

Enjoy the journey. There is no substitute for hearing them in your listening area with your audio equipment and your music.

Mark
 
You have some good choices here Andy, the new NHT super ones may be in your range also, they really are a audiophile legend for this price range. I purchased a used pair with sonus stands included for $150. Playing records now through them.
 
I have the Klipsch R-14M (my wife wouldn't let me get anything bigger :)) and I'm driving them with a Marantz 2240b receiver and using a Thorens TD-190 table.
I've been very impressed with the build quality, the aesthetics and the sound. I listen to similar 60's - 70's music. Good luck!
 
If you could swing an extra $50 the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's have really impressed me. Not the latest and greatest but a really good value.
 
Back
Top Bottom