• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2007 Top 20, Err...19

tentoze

Twangophile
My heart wasn't much in it this year, as nothing really came storming out of nowhere and slapped me silly. Couldn't even make 20. But, one must maintain tradition around these parts.

1. Josh Ritter~ The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
2. Lucinda Williams~ West
3. Levon Helm~ Dirt Farmer
4. Porter Wagoner~ Wagonmaster
5. Ry Cooder~ My Name Is Buddy
6. Mary Gauthier~ Between Daylight & Dark
7. Norman Blake, Nancy Blake, and Tut Taylor~ Shacktown Road
8. David Bromberg~ Try Me One More Time
9. Vic Chesnutt~ North Star Deserter
10. Andrew Bird~ Armchair Apocrypha
11. Steve Earle~ Washington Square Serenade
12. Son Volt~ The Search
13. Okkervil River~ The Stage Names
14. Bruce Springsteen~ Magic
15. Subdudes~ Street Symphony
16. Richmond Fontaine~ 13 Cities
17. Linda Thompson~ Versatile Heart
18. Lee Hazlewood~ Cake Or Death
19. Charlie Louvin~ S/T
 
Register to hide this ad
If you're into murder ballads, Porter Wagoner had a German released album Rubber Room, in 2006, now readily available here.

A 29 track Cd anthology, billed as "The Haunting, Poetic Songs of Porter Wagoner" from 1966 to 1977 releases, it's the "darker, more poetic/psychotronic, dark, heartfelt country" side of the artist.

Some of the tracks have never been issued on CD until now.
 
I could not come up with a top 20 this year, in part because I have not heard or bought that much music released in 2007. So I have a top 10 list and a couple of other mentions.

Noble Creatures by The Gourds
Giant Bear by Giant Bear
Diamonds to Dust by Gurf Morlix
West by Lucinda Williams
Home For Misfits by Kaz Murphy
Sweet Warrior by Richard Thompson
Wincing the Night Away by The Shins
Time on Earth by Crowded House
Hope Radio by Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters
Grand National by John Butler Trio

The best recording I heard that falls outside my normal range of music was
Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree

Biggest disappointment for me was Washington Square Serenade (DIG) by Steve Earle.
 
There's a few more days to go but I reckon that's all we'll get for '07

My favourite '07 buys....
Richard Thompson..........Sweet Warrior
Ian Hunter....................Shrunken Heads
Graham Parker...............Don't tell Columbus
The Derek Trucks Band...Songlines (could be '06?)

Seasons Greetings to all at AK and have a great '08
Brian
 
I can only come up with one song from this year that I would put on a list....

Shut Your Eyes - Snow Patrol

Guess I need to get out and listen to more new stuff. .
 
Here Goes Nothing

1) Graham Parker ~ Don't Tell Columbus

2) Okkervil River~ Stage Names

3) Porter Wagoner ~ WagonMaster

4)Charlie Louvin ~ S\T

5) Mark Olsen ~ Salvation Blues

6) Chip Taylor|Carrie Rodriquez ~ Live From Ruhr Triennale

7) Mary Gauthier ~ Between Daylight & Dark

8) Son Volt ~ The Search

9) Band of Horses ~ Cease to Begin

10) Allison Krauss|Robert Plant ~ Raising Sand

11) Bonnie "Prince" Billy ~ Ask Forgiveness

12) John Vanderslice ~ Emerald City

13) Two Gallants ~ 2GS

14 ) Bruce Hornsby| Christian Macbride| jack Dejohnette ~ Camp Meetings

15)Merle Haggard ~ The Bluegrass Sessions

16) David Olney ~ One Tough Town

17) Richmond Fontaine `13 Cities

18) Lee Hazlewood ~ Cake or Death

19) David Bromberg ~ Try Me One More Time

20) Last Town Chorus ~ Wire waltz

21) Josh Rouse ~ Country Mouse,city Mouse

22) Martin Sexton ~ Seeds

23) Josh Ritter ~ The Historical Conquest Of

24) Rocky Votolato ~ The Brag & The Cuss

25) Suzanne Vega ~ Beauty & Crime
 
The best recording I heard that falls outside my normal range of music was
Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree.

I love Porcupine Tree - they were great live on this tour as well - and if you're in to live DVD concert stuff, check out "Arriving Somewhere" - easily one of the best live DVD's I've ever seen...and I've seen quite a few.

Since I don't know that I've listened to 20 new albums this year, here's a few good albums I did hear:

PT - Fear of a blank planet
Down - Over the under
Rush - Snakes and arrows
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Jason Isbell - Sirens of the ditch
Clutch - From Beale St. to oblivion
Sixx AM - The heroin diaries
Alicia Keys - As I am
 
No way can I list 19, Or 20, As I buy Rock Disc's, So choices were limited, A few I like from this year;

Dream Theater: Systamatic Chaos
Alter Bridge: Blackbird (With the underrated Mark Tremonti)
Rush: Snakes And Arrows
Libertad: Velvet Revolver
Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces: Seether
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace: Foo Fighters
Black Rain: Ozzy Osbourne
Saliva: Blood Stained Love Song
 
Hmm...
I didn't have much trouble finding some good stuff this year!

Songs From the Pine Room - Axton Kincaid
Careful What You Wish For - Jonatha Brooke
The Story - Brandi Carlile
Trailer Park Fire & Other Tragedies - Jalan Crossland
The Reminder - Feist
Revival - John Fogerty
The Threads E.P. - Thea Gilmore
Blood On The Slacks - Golden Smog
This Is Somewhere - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Trading Twilight for Daylight - Great Northern
Viridian - The Greencards
Children Running Through - Patty Griffin
The Wanderlust Diaries - Mary Karlzen
Don't Look Away - Kate Voegele
Viktor Krauss II - Viktor Krauss
Unglamorous - Lori McKenna
On The Way - Abra Moore
Scarred - Johnette Napolitano
Faith & Science - Shane Nicholson
The Trumpet Child - Over The Rhine
Chinese Boxes - Kim Richey
Under the Blacklight - Rilo Kiley
The Historical Conquests - Josh Ritter
Hopeful Romantic - Renee Stahl
Beauty & Crime - Suzanne Vega
Miles Away - Gina Villalobos
West - Lucinda Williams
Translated From Love - Kelly Willis

Tom
 
So, tentoze, is the new Okkervil River very good? I liked Down the River of Golden Dreams, but was disappointed by the poor-quality pressing; the center hole was not quite in the center, if you know what I mean.
 
Only picked up about a third of what I typically buy in a year, but there were a few notables. Listed by play count:

1. John Prine & Mac Wiseman ~ Standard Songs for Average People
2. Eilen Jewel ~ Letters From Sinners & Strangers
3. The Subdudes ~ Street Symphony
4. Martha Scanlan ~ The West is Burning
5. Mark Olson ~ The Salvation Blues
6. Adrienne Young ~ Room to Grow
7. Porter Wagoner ~ The Wagonmaster
8. Levon Helm ~ Dirt Farmer
9. Kane Welch Kaplin ~ Kane Welch Kaplin
10. The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures
11. Grace Potter & the Nocturnals ~ This is Somewhere
12. Kim Richey ~ Chinese Boxes
13. Pieta Brown ~ Remember the Sun
14. Teddy Thompson ~ Upfront & Down Low
15. Billy Bob Thornton ~ Beautiful Door
16. Jorma Kaukonen ~ Stars in my Crown
17. Lyle Lovett & His Large Band ~ It's Not Big It's Large
18. Joe Henry ~ Civilians
19. Wilco ~ Sky Blue
20. Rocco Deluca and the Burden ~ Live Session - EP

-dave
 
My heart wasn't much in it this year, as nothing really came storming out of nowhere and slapped me silly. Couldn't even make 20. But, one must maintain tradition around these parts.

1. Josh Ritter~ The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
2. Lucinda Williams~ West
3. Levon Helm~ Dirt Farmer
4. Porter Wagoner~ Wagonmaster
5. Ry Cooder~ My Name Is Buddy
6. Mary Gauthier~ Between Daylight & Dark
7. Norman Blake, Nancy Blake, and Tut Taylor~ Shacktown Road
8. David Bromberg~ Try Me One More Time
9. Vic Chesnutt~ North Star Deserter
10. Andrew Bird~ Armchair Apocrypha
11. Steve Earle~ Washington Square Serenade
12. Son Volt~ The Search
13. Okkervil River~ The Stage Names
14. Bruce Springsteen~ Magic
15. Subdudes~ Street Symphony
16. Richmond Fontaine~ 13 Cities
17. Linda Thompson~ Versatile Heart
18. Lee Hazlewood~ Cake Or Death
19. Charlie Louvin~ S/T

How about Mothership, Led Zeppelin :eek:!!!
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
 
So, tentoze, is the new Okkervil River very good? I liked Down the River of Golden Dreams, but was disappointed by the poor-quality pressing; the center hole was not quite in the center, if you know what I mean.

I like it quite a bit, not as much as last year's Black Sheep Boy, but still a strong album. A little more mainstream sound than previously.

Only picked up about a third of what I typically buy in a year, but there were a few notables. Listed by play count:

1. John Prine & Mac Wiseman ~ Standard Songs for Average People
-dave

Gaaah- left this off my original list, somehow.
 
Songs with the highest play count from my 2007 picks (ipod stats):

1. Get Right Church ~ Martha Scanlan ~ The West is Burning (if this one doesn't get your arse up outta the chair, nothin' will)

2. Moon Gone Down ~ The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures

3. Steeple Full of Swallows ~ The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures

4. Blue Eyed Elaine ~ John Prine & Mac Wiseman ~ Standard Songs for Average People

5. Old Rugged Cross ~ John Prine & Mac Wiseman ~ Standard Songs for Average People

6. No Man ~ The Subdudes ~ Street Symphony

7. Brother Man ~ The Subdudes ~ Street Symphony

8. Dusty Box Car Wall ~ Eilen Jewel ~ Letters From Sinners & Strangers

9. Natural Bride ~ Adrienne Young ~ Room to Grow

10. Restin' Your Soul ~ Billy Bob Thornton ~ Beautiful Door
 
Moon Gone Down ~ The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures

Steeple Full of Swallows ~ The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures

Those are great songs and show that The Gourds have more range and depth than most folks realize!
 
Moon Gone Down ~ The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures

Steeple Full of Swallows ~ The Gourds ~ Noble Creatures

Those are great songs and show that The Gourds have more range and depth than most folks realize!

Promenade is another great song from Noble Creatures. Not your typical Gourds album, shows growth and maturity.


-dave
 
guess I'd better buck up too. my list goes up to 11, doesn't it.

The Donnas- Bitchin'
Robert Fripp and Brian Eno- The Cotswold Gnomes
Nick Lowe- At My Age
Levon Helm- Dirt Farmer
Psychedelic Horseshit- Magic Flowers Droned
The Brother Kite- Moonlit Race
Robert Wyatt- Comicopera
Radiohead- In Rainbows
Panda Bear- Person Pitch
Andrew Bird- Armchair Apocrypha
Dinosaur Jr.- Beyond
 
Back
Top Bottom