• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2013 Looks like a big year for vinyl record sales

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
Building on already-impressive year-on-year gains, it looks like vinyl records are headed for a really significant sales gain for 2013:

http://www.businessinsider.com/vinyl-music-is-surging-2013-7

vinyl2013.jpg


Also an interesting contrast with his chart from this past week showing music downloads are way down:

downloadgainloss_2013-1.jpg


Now that's interesting!
 
Register to hide this ad
Now that is very interesting indeed. I do see more and more vinyl popping up in stores, that several years back didn't know what an LP was. But I would have to assume these are mostly online retailer sales. The paid download loss is surprising to me.
 
That paid download chart is deceiving. It's not numbers, its percentage gain/loss...so if you showed numbers sold you'd see a continuing rise that flattens out until this year, with a very slight dip at the end, instead of what looks like a constant loss. Add paid streaming into that and the dip is more than made up for.
 
That paid download chart is deceiving. It's not numbers, its percentage gain/loss...so if you showed numbers sold you'd see a continuing rise that flattens out until this year, with a very slight dip at the end, instead of what looks like a constant loss. Add paid streaming into that and the dip is more than made up for.

John is correct. Contrasting a sales chart against a percentage change chart makes it appear that not only did no-one pay for downloads, but that they even requested refunds which sent the 'payment' graph into negative territory which wasn't the case.

Comparing apples with oranges.

I will put my hand up for contributing to the new vinyl sales. :D
 
John is correct. Contrasting a sales chart against a percentage change chart makes it appear that not only did no-one pay for downloads, but that they even requested refunds which sent the 'payment' graph into negative territory which wasn't the case.

Comparing apples with oranges.

I will put my hand up for contributing to the new vinyl sales. :D

Yes, that is correct. However, with that said, it's still a very positive sign for record sales.

And, of course, I was just quoting the article; I didn't write it or create the deceptive graphics! ;)
 
Yes, that is correct. However, with that said, it's still a very positive sign for record sales.

And, of course, I was just quoting the article; I didn't write it or create the deceptive graphics! ;)

Lucky you said that Wiggy. The Seal Team hit squad was about to be dispatched to seek and destroy. :para: :uzi:
 
I bought more records than CDs or downloads this year. But I bought a lot of all of them :D
 
B... but... I remember a thread not too long ago in which some of AK's brightest luminaries declared that the vinyl boom was over or flattening?

Are you saying that their anecdotes are being contradicted by actual market data?

it depends on how the question is presented. Has vinyl peaked? The answer to that is yes. Many years ago. Are vinyl sales growing? Apparently so. But it's micro compared to vinyl's glory days.
 
Vinyl will never again be more than a niche format...but it's a darned healthy niche format these days!!!
 
So far this year, I have purchased about 30 new records, 3 cds, and one digital download.
 
:scratch2:
That paid download chart is deceiving. It's not numbers, its percentage gain/loss...so if you showed numbers sold you'd see a continuing rise that flattens out until this year, with a very slight dip at the end, instead of what looks like a constant loss. Add paid streaming into that and the dip is more than made up for.

I don't understand what your saying but is this like where my employer predicts whey will make 12 billion and then when they ONLY end up making 11 billion they tell us it was a bad year they and lost 1 billion:scratch2:[
 
Back
Top Bottom