• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2018 - year of the 2.0 Liter Turbo

I was initially displeased with the new GMC Terrain being offered with only a 1.5 or 2.0 Turbo 4 having the 3.0 V6 in my 2012 Terrain now, Which I am very pleased with. But from what I have read the 2.0 Turbo 4 does a decent job accelerating the not so compact 3,800 lb Terrain Denali to 60 in about 6.5 sec. As expected the standard 1.5L Turbo engine is under powered for most folks, Probably OK in the Chevy Malibu Though.

I have never driven a Turbo engine before, But am willing to give this new Terrain a try when its time. I hope I get better luck than my neighbour's new Ford Escape which when he lets off the gas with the 2.0L Turbo approaching traffic, and stomps it to pass, It dies long enough to scare the pants off you. Pretty scary, Even dangerous on a 2 lane road. I wonder if other cars have the same problem. I didn't see any reference to turbo lag with GM's engine yet.

Despite modern technology, It seems turbo lag is alive and well. I just read references to Ford turbo V6's exhibiting the same frustrating and dangerous turbo lag in their pick-ups. This doesn't inspire confidence. But it seems we have little choice today for many small and mid-size cars and SUV's. For trucks, I suggest stick to a V8. GM for one offers some good ones.
 
Last edited:
I have a 2017 Malibu with the 1.5 Turbo and am happy with its performance. I was skeptical. However it seems to have more power and gets better mileage than the 2013 2.4 Malibu it replaced. At just over 7,000 miles I've averaged 37 mpg since it was new.
 
Neither my 2013 3.5 turbo F-150 or my 2016 1.0 turbo Fiesta suffered appreciable turbo lag--the 3.5 a very little bit and the 1.0 none.

The 3.5 F-150 Ecoboost will run away from most V8 trucks, the only exception possibly being the 6 liter Chevy (and the new 3.5 Ecoboost Raptor will run away from any stock truck) and has a sterling reputation among those who tow RVs; it's generally recognized as the best towing motor available in a half ton pickup. Mine pulled my 24' KZ up Fancy Gap 65 mph left lane, no sweat.
 
Last edited:
I owned a turbo 30 years ago, and remembering how that relic drove vs. the '17 Civic EX-T with the 1.5L turbo, I can easily say turbo technology has advanced quite a bit since those days. Lag is reduced through some fancy plumbing and what not, these days. And the turbos themselves are more reliable than ever. The engines the turbos are being put on these days are also a lot more efficient and powerful than the engines from 30 years ago. Win/win all around, I'd say.
 
Yes, there something wrong with a Ford with EcoBoost with turbo lag ( maybe a wee bit on some) , and it should go in for warranty work if it still has that and hopefully does!
 
Back
Top Bottom