• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2220 vs. 2230: Big differences?

winters860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been running a yard sale 2220 for the last few weeks, getting re-acquainted with the cap-coupled Marantz sound, and finding it very pleasing.

Part of me wants to refurbish the 2220 to see what it can really do, but part of me doesn't want to spend the money and effort on anything less than a 2230 or 1060 (the top models for this Marantz topology).

The 2220 and 2230 were made concurrently. Beyond 10 fewer watts of power per channel, the lack of midrange control, and (in comparison to later-production 2230, at least) the lack of pre-out/main-in, what am I missing if I go ahead with the 2220 I have?

This is my third 2220, but I've never had a 2230. With my 93db/w speakers, either receiver has plenty of power. I seldom use tone controls. I don't (currently) have a need for pre-out/main-in jacks.

Can anyone tell me, in concrete terms, about performance differences that might help me make a decision?
 
Register to hide this ad
Looking over the schematic for both, they appear to have very, very similar power amps. I would say they should sound no different in that regard , at least. I believe many Marantz models from this era used the same or very similar pre-sections as well.

In a blind test, it would certainly be impossible to tell these two apart. But that applies to almost all amps.
 
Back
Top Bottom