• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2230/2275/2385 restore

wtc1

New Member
Have a 2230 I bought new that has been in a box for 10-12 years. Want to recap/new lights etc to use in office.
The 2230 got put away when I got new speakers it couldn't drive and went to 100 w/ch Denon. While lurking here reading I also started looking at CL and got first a 2275 and then 2385, both great deals, to replace the Denon.
Was going to start with the 2230 and work my way up. Have previous solder experience in past and some junk boards to warm up on, but not desolder experience
.
A few questions.

Any recommendations for vacum desolder? Haako look great but pricey for intermittent amateur use.Based on youtube videos the pump driven desolder tools seem like an enormous time saver.

The 2275 is very clean inside, caps look fine and no burned out lights. I assume it was not used a lot based on how many lights I burned out on my 2230! Any risk to using it till I get around to recap? Listened to it at sellers house and other than switch crackle (will deoxit) it sounds fine.

Was thinking of ordering kit for 2230 to make first job a bit easier. Any suggestions?

In trying to find cap lists saw a reference to "BOM". What is that for the newbie?

At irebuildmarantz he has a tutorial for 2230 that seemed like a good guide to order to do things. Any comments?

thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
The Hakko is worth the money but a bit much for casual use.

However, it is easier on the traces once you get it dialed in. Desoldering is a skill.

BOM is bill of materials.

Get some junk vintage circuit boards to practice on.

Learning on a 2230 is good, moving to a 2275 is OK, they are easy to get into, boards unplug. I recommend you do not try the 2385. That is a whole other level of puzzle.
 
wtc1,
Don't practice desoldering if you are uncertain. You can cause more damage than good.
Get a good desoldering iron like the type Radio Shack sold. Relatively inexpensive and does a very good job.
Hakko is too expensive for 3 repairs.
It would help if you listed your location.
 
The 2275 is the easiest to work on of the three. I would save the 2385 for last, they are a real challenge to get back together and working.

Tom
 
The 2275 is the easiest to work on of the three. I would save the 2385 for last, they are a real challenge to get back together and working.

Tom
I tend to agree Tom. I just wanted to "protect" the 2275 in case, you know....
 
Thanks for info.

I plan on practicing on some junk boards while I am cleaning, waiting for parts. Ok with going slow and am familiar with learning curve from mudding drywall.

Regarding Radio Shack desoldering iron. I assume you mean the 45 watt with a bulb model? http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-45-watt-desoldering-iron/6402060.html

Will see how I feel when I reach the 2385. There are a number of local techs I could use. Was just happy to snag one of these,
 
I use a soldapult and wick. keep the soldapult clean, add some grease to the o ring once and a while so that it has a good seal.
 
Back
Top Bottom