• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2230 vs 2235B

vinylthunder

Active Member
I found a one owner mint 2235B receiver for $200 and I am thinking about selling my cosmetically challenge 2230 to buy the 2235B. What do you think? The problem with my 2230 is that it has a damaged face plate but I can buy a reproduction face plate for $125 on eBay. Eventually I would like to restore the 2230 and get a wood case. However, I am wondering if I would not be better off buying the mint one owner 2235B and letting go of the 2230 for about $100. I am expecting the inside of the 2235B to be in like new condition.

Don't tell me to keep both. Trust me, I though about it but I am in a budget and my 2230 is already in the garage because I already have two other nicer stereo setups on the house.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have seen posts where a few folks think the 2230 is one on the best of the 22xx series. $125 for a faceplate seems high unless you have restored internals. Maybe buy a pretty but non functional 2230 and use it for parts? You already have 2 nicer setups, use some patience and wait till a deal comes arround for a donor unit or someone parting one out.
 
For what its worth

I have the 2235B. I had it thoroughly gone through by a local shop and let me tell you, it is a great little receiver. I think that you will be very happy with it.

Im just saying...
 
I'd keep the 2230. I have a 1060 which is basically the same thing, sans the tuner. It's true what people say about the 2230 being one of the best 22XX models that Marantz made, along with the 2270.

I've owned the 2235B as well. I like my 2225 and 1060 better.
 
I've restored a couple of 2230s (and 1060s) as well as a 2235B (AK thread link). The 2235B is a very nice receiver, its a bit of a transition unit: coming at the end of the classic non-"B" series and before the silver dial "B" series. And as such it doesn't have some of the failure-prone components, e.g., 2SC458 transistors, VD1212 dual diodes. I preferred the restored 2235B over the 2230, more neutral and powerful sounding; of course YMMV.
 
Thanks for the good advise. I am keeping it. Plan is to get a wood case and a new face plate before I go ahead and do a full recap. Abou $300 for the facelift with the wood case. Probably another $200 for the recap. I could have bought a nice unit for the same price but who cares. I like projects.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 28
Recap first, if something goes wrong with the service you may be stuck with a beautiful non functional piece that you will feel obligated to keep throwing money at. also what if you dont like the sound after the recap/restoration? By the way yours does not look that bad as it sits, I was thinking it was pretty beat up from your original description. A couple of battle scars and wrinkles adds character.
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
Face lift & case $300
Recap $200
------------------------
Total $500

$500 on top of the initial cost of the receiver seems like a lot of money to invest in a 2230.
Don't get me wrong my 2230 is very sweet.:music:
The 2230 has a very strong following with a lot of fans.

As you can tell from my signature I like the sound of the lower powered 20## & 22## series Marantz’s very much.

But personally I couldn’t justify putting that much $ in to a 2230 unless I was planning on keeping it for the rest of my life.:scratch2:
For that much money you can move pretty far up the Marantz 22## family tree:smoke:
http://www.classic- http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mb2.htmlaudio.com/marantz/mb5.html


If you shop around a bit that kind of money will get you into 2275 territory.

As always YMMV.
Good luck with your Marantz journey.
PQ
 
Wood cabinet can be sold later on, or used on another model. Recap will generally add years of continued service. I find the 2230 hard to beat in the low powered units.

Buying a 2275 or any other model unless you are the one doing the service will need it done.


I have both the 2230(2) and a 2275. The 2275 will go before the 2230's. Maybe it is just me but I like the 2230 more.



Barney
 
You are right about how much this will cost me when done. But where I am in the Seattle area it is impossible to find good deals. Most 2230s start at $250 and many have problems. There is a 2270 in Portland with a wood case listed for $750. I know it sounds insane but this is how much these old receivers are fetching now days. This is the kind of money that can get you into some pretty nice audiophile gear like Naim, Adcom, Rotel, NAD, etc. Is it worth it? I don't know. All I can tell you is that I rarely listen to my $10,000 system since I got into the vintage stuff. Forget neutrality, I like loudness.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom