• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

2238 filter capacitors

Terry Wilker

New Member
Picked up a Marantz 2238 at an estate sale for 100.00. Was really dirty and many years weed smoke stained like I never seen before. It's all cleaned and deoxIT up. Seems to work good. I'll get to the point .I see a pair of filter caps on ebay for 20.00. They are KMH 63V 10000uF. Are these good quality caps?
 
Register to hide this ad
Ebay is typically not the place to buy capacitors unless you really know the seller.

There will be a lot more pressing issues than the main filters, unless you see a problem there.

The best way to source some new filters would be measure the diameter of the old ones, along with the height. Note the working voltage and capacity too. Head to digikey and seach Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors. Use the filters to select the same diameter (or within 1 mm), filter your other properties accordingly.

Height is variable, whatever fits. Capacity you can stay the same or increase up to 20%. Voltage you can go up a notch or two, i.e. 55 > 63 or 80.

Look for a capacitor that has lower ESR and higher Ripple ratings at 120hz in the results. You should be able to find a long life capacitor with good ratings for 8-12 dollars for that unit.
 
I like the if it's not broken dont fix it myself. It just that one of the two has a buldge on the top. Does that fall into the go ahead and replace them kind of logic?
 
I like the if it's not broken dont fix it myself. It just that one of the two has a buldge on the top. Does that fall into the go ahead and replace them kind of logic?
Only if it's solid under the bulge, which it usually isn't. Where these "stick out" is on the bottom on the rubber seal, and a small bump at that.
 
Picked up a Marantz 2238 at an estate sale for 100.00. Was really dirty and many years weed smoke stained like I never seen before. It's all cleaned and deoxIT up. Seems to work good. I'll get to the point .I see a pair of filter caps on ebay for 20.00. They are KMH 63V 10000uF. Are these good quality caps?
If you are going to change components, (a very good idea, IMO), the two big filter caps are the last ones I would be concerned about.
 
Back
Top Bottom