• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2238 is Amazing

IXLR8

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Taking the long way home from work last week thought I would drop by a thrift in search of tunes. Just the usual suspects, albums we all know and pass over endlessly. Down the wall of black electronics a dusty silver face winked at me. Picked the Manrantz 2238 up had some heft and went looking for the socket that seldom gets used. Welcomed by blue lights and the soft little click. Got in line to adopt it, thinking wonder how it sounds. Today woke to the choice of chores or clean and check out the 2238. Did the same as most of you would do and had the cover off and dusting and cleaning away in no time. Then the same thought wonder how it sounds? My speaker choice a set of Frazier Mark IV speakers made no more than 6 miles from my office. They don't take much to drive them kinda the other side of the coin of AR3a speakers. Pushed the on button and the 2238 sounds amazing. FM is clear and detailed with full range again amazing. This one was built in 1977 I saw inside and they did good.
2238_on_Frazier_Seven.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I restored a 2238 for a local friend. IIRC, it made 45WPC. It was very nice sounding, with great FM performance, like you observed. I ran it with EPI 100s, it really impressed me, despite build quality that's a bit lower than earlier Marantz.
 
Was surprised that it performs as well as it does. Have a set of EPI 100 that have not been played in a while will try that out. Now I'm wondering what some of the higher up models sound like. Marantz seems to have made many well thought of receivers.
 
That is the Marantz of my dreams.

I love that silver bar below the tuner dial.

Congratulations on a once in a lifetime find (for most folks, anyway). :)
 
That is the Marantz of my dreams.

I love that silver bar below the tuner dial.

Congratulations on a once in a lifetime find (for most folks, anyway). :)

Thank you. The joy of finding vintage gear and with a little work having it come back to life is such a kick. Finding information on them is always fun too.
 
Back
Top Bottom