• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2238BL received today, will need some work

Gigapod

Vintage audio amateur
Hello,
I just got this today, she's a beauty but she hasn't been treated kindly...:tears:

front1.jpg


One of the corners screws was broken, the fuse bulbs are all burned and have cheap pigtail bulbs stuck on them, the original power switch is gone as well as the button, and she was filthy inside.

first_open.jpg


I haven't dared switch her on yet, but according to the previous (unloving) owner, she's not working anymore since "about a month ago". Yeah, sure... :pistols:

Anybody here would have the schematics, I would very much like to buy a copy or appreciate a low-res pdf version (please PM me).

Any idea where I can get a power switch and button?

Tips, ideas, guidelines, suggestions, help, everyth:worried: ing welcome to save this baby. :worried:
 
Register to hide this ad
For powerswitch, check out this link...

$2.99 for a switch


For the cap... check eBay... Salvation Army... Goodwill... anywhere really. There isn't a direct source that I know of...
 
Oh my, finding a schematic for that may be quite hard, but a cool find nonetheless.

You might want to check various components like caps, transistors, etc, that is if you have the stuff to test with.

I would DeOxit all the controls, buttons, and board slectors.
See those "switches" on the board itself? Those will need cleaning as well.

I am guessing that it may need some serious work, might want to contact Echowars.
 
alexkerhead said:
...
You might want to check various components like caps, transistors, etc, that is if you have the stuff to test with.

I would DeOxit all the controls, buttons, and board slectors.
See those "switches" on the board itself? Those will need cleaning as well.

I am guessing that it may need some serious work, might want to contact Echowars.
Thanks, alexkerhead!
I hope these will do:

deoxit.jpg
 
OK, bottom and front plates off.
bottom_off.jpg

I used the "gentle tap with small thin flat screwdriver on brass thingy" technique I learned in this forum, but obviously the previous owner didn't... :uzi:
front_plate.jpg

What's the recommended way to clean and polish the front plate?
 
bad_cap1.jpg


One visibly bad cap on the amplifier PCB.

Can anybody tell me how to disassemble this PCB so I can gain access to the copper side?
 
It doesn't come screwed off from the panel?

Wow, that is one funny looking cap..lol, usually mine are leaking, that one has swelled to massive proportions.
 
Back
Top Bottom