• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2270 Filter Caps

baldr

New Member
Using the list provided on this forum I have ordered and received the caps that I need to re cap my 2270.

Question: The Panasonic Filter caps are too small for the holes and the brackets. What have people done to work around this?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
What Panasonic caps did you get for the filter caps? The Pansonic THA series have the proper 40mm diameter required. I suggest you get the proper diameter considering they are readily available. Wrapping tape, foam or making up the diameter difference in whatever way, even when done neatly, imho is NOT the way to go. It's the very last resort.
 
I've recapped 3 of these units and ordered the panasonic caps specified and they were the correct diameter every time. You may want to double check the list vs what was shipped.
 
attachment.php


Agreed, - filling the diameter with anything but cap is not ideal - however sometimes you just cant get the diameter right. I use foam insulation tape that you use around windows/doors. It compresses nicely and will hold the cap firmly. On my Eight I kept the main cap shell, and then had the new smaller caps inside. That way you can keep the look 100% original.
 
Last edited:
Agreed, - filling the diameter with anything but cap is not ideal - however sometimes you just cant get the diameter right. I use foam insulation tape that you use around windows/doors. It compresses nicely and will hold the cap firmly. On my Eight I kept the main cap shell, and then had the new smaller caps inside. That way you can keep the look 100% original.
Yup, that's fine and dandy when you have to do what you have to do. Like I said, it really should be a last resort. However in this case, the proper diameter caps are easy to source.

I realize not everyone is a professional restorer but my approach is for a factory looking result whenever possible. Anything short of that due to circumstances such as the particular wants of a customer or parts availability for instance, still has to look professional.
 
Filter Cap Size

I am an amateur but I really would like to do my 2270 recap myself so your patience is appreciated. My company repairs phones so I have people who have changed 10's of thousands of caps and they will help me with the soldering etc.

With that said; I have ordered the caps from the Digikey BOM posted by Catrafter. I am starting with the filter caps and have found that the old filter caps were 50mm and fit perfectly in the clamps and the clamps fit perfectly in the frame. The new filter caps are 40mm and too small for the clamps and too small for the holes(which are 44mm).

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

Also, I could use some help understanding where the bypass filter is.

Thanks
 
If you know anyone with a lathe see if they can turn you some adapters out of plastic PVC plumbing pipe. Make the walls the thickness of the difference that needs to be made up but overall a bit small. Then saw it open, hopefully with a bandsaw, and it will fit snugly over the new smaller part and clamp right in.
 
I've done a bunch of these. On every one the original clamps are 40mm, the holes in the chassis are slightly larger. I have no idea why your clamps are too big unless someone has changed them. The bypass capacitors go in parallel with the filters.

Tom
 

Attachments

  • 2270 caps (5).JPG
    2270 caps (5).JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2270 caps (2).JPG
    2270 caps (2).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2270 caps (1).JPG
    2270 caps (1).JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 2270 caps (4).JPG
    2270 caps (4).JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom