• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2270 Restoration

YANIR GVIRTz

New Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Thank you @AE Bob - my bad for not posting a picture of the poor condition of the shaft - here it is in all its glory:

20210326_201633.jpg


I am afraid the knife solution won't cut it (pun intended )
 
That is exactly the type of damaged shaft that the method I showed will repair. You need to read further down in the post. I have repaired many shafts that way. The photos in my post are of the repair of the selector on a Marantz 22xx receiver. The replacement shaft / spline section is from a new pot with a smaller bushing (Mounting Hole: 7.8mm). The shaft is necked down to about 4mm where it goes through the small bushing.. I have a bunch that I bought as a assortment package here (https://www.mpja.com/Pack-of-30-Variable-Resistor-Assortment-1_8-Watt/productinfo/32809+VR/), but an appropriate one is available from Mouser or Newark for very little $$. The shipping would be more than the cost of a couple pots. I use the "long shaft" parts from the assortment. The hardest part may be finding an appropriate knob, if the original is missing.

The talk about the use of my Swiss Army knife was to help folks not break the shaft in the first place, trying to bend the halves back apart after someone jammed a knob on the shaft wrong.
 
Last edited:
Thank you again!
The link took me directly to the knife prying method so I missed the rest.
Will read thoroughly and follow - thank you!
 
Back
Top Bottom