• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2330 Snap Crackle Pop

ivandezande

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I restored this 2330 (non-B) this spring and went all out on it. All new transistors and even the BA312’s were replaced.
Outputs were left alone, and now here’s my question; can they cause (pretty loud) crackles and pops? It’s only in the left channel, and it’s for sure in the amp section since volume does not affect it.
image.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a polystyrene capacitors in a Marantz 19 tone board make me nuts with scp. Freeze spray made it show up after a lot of work narrowing it down.

Tony
 
It's possibly a bad solder joint. I had a crackle and pop in a tube amp I built and it turned out to be a cracked solder joint. I couldn't see anything bad even with a magnifier. So I put the amp upside down, turned it on and watched. Sure enough there was a pop I was able to locate where it came from. I even saw a small spark. As the amp warmed up, the solder joint lifted just enough to break contact to ground.
 
Thanks everyone!
This happens only after 30-45 minutes of warm up time, so I think I'll do all the solder joints, then poke around.
 
Back
Top Bottom