usedto
Lunatic Member
Most of you know by now that I have a never ending sense of humor. Every now and then, though, it's time to be somewhat serious. This is one of them. March 7, 2006 is my wife, Janice, and my 25th wedding anniversary. This is for her.
I met Janice at a 4th of July barbecue at a friend's place in 1974. I was a 23 year old college graduate, and she was a 17 year old senior at my old high school in Ripon, Ca. At the time, the age difference didn't register. Her family already knew who I was, having gone to high school with her older sister. We dated regularly the first few years. She went to work right out of high school, and in 1978 I landed a pretty good job, bought a Corvette, and put a down payment on a new house. We kept dating, and she started putting pressure on me :yes: , so in 1980 I bought her a mediocre engagement ring (about 1/3 the value of my stereo - fair enough!), and we got married in 1981. I got the idea to start a business in Tracy where I was working, selling hardware and tools to the farmers (patterned after a friend's business). We rented a small warehouse, stocked it up, ane she quit her job at the bank to run the store. But she hated it, and I hated my job, so a year later I quit my job to run the business, and she went back to work at the bank. Tighten the belts! Business was holding it's own, and in 1983 she got a job working for Leprino foods (they make cheese for pizza chains). At her job interview, it was between her and one other girl who was equally qualified, but she had taken my 70 Corvette that day, and the boss was a car nut. Bingo! Business increased, and her salary allowed me to put everything right back and grow. In 1986, we managed to buy a piece of property in Tracy where we could live AND have my business together. Time to tighten the belts once more! Business increased again.
Then came that fateful day. Somewhere around her 31st birthday, as she was leaving her gynecologist's office after her annual checkup, he said, "Oh, by the way...if you plan on having kids, you'd better get started." Now I had already made it 7 years, and it's not that I didn't want kids, I just didn't NEED any. But she brought home a jug of wine, got me likker'd up, and in September of 1988, Elliot was born. She had taken maternity leave from her job, but when it ran out she went back to work. That didn't work. She wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, and I figure she had busted her butt for the last 7 years so I could do my thing, so I told her to quit her $40,000/yr job :tears: and I'd pull the cart myself. Things went OK, and a few years later she bought another bottle of wine and convinced me that Elliot would be lonely by himself, so in April of 1991, Emily came along. By now I figured out what the cause was, so in June I had that little operation that makes you walk funny for a few days. Buy all the wine you want now!
While the business was growing, she was busy not only with the kids, but with pre-school, teaching Sunday school, helping in the classes at elementary school, (both kids were valdictorians at their 8th grade graduation), and she now helps at the high school, as well as being a 4-H leader. Farming is becoming a thing of the past around here, so I now deal in equipment and government surplus. We went without some of the toys, fancy cars, and vacations to invest in property. Our property, which was once farm ground ,is now zoned industrial, and our place is worth quite a bit. Our house needs alot of work, but it will be worth more as an office in a year or two, so we just patch it up here and there. She's always wanted a new home, so when the kids are gone and the developers overtake us, we'll probably build a new house on my parent's ranch about 20 miles from here or ?
For those of you who didn't read my Valentines Day thread, I had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery last Valentines day, so for our 24th anniversary, she and the kids played nursemaid to me. I kinda got lazy after that, and business has dropped off, but it's time to jump start it again. I have two great kids to put through college in a few years, and I have more fun when I'm busy anyway.
So that brings us to March 7, 2006. Circumstances involving both our families prevent us from having a big party for the celebration. We planned on just the four of us going out to dinner, but Emily is sick, so we'll probably just stay home. But all is not lost. Remember how I told you that I bought her kind of a crappy wedding set?
Well, it just so happens that a friend of my son's father is a custom jeweler who works by himself. I got ahold of him around Christmas time and he and I designed a ring for her, which he built. There is a picture below for the ladies, if anyone's interested.
Janice questioned me about anniversary gifts a few weeks ago, but I told her that a property deal we're working on has our funds tied up for a few weeks, so we need to hold off. She has no idea what I've done. She will truly be pissed off. The kids are in on it, too, which makes it even better. And I have shown the ring to all the people who know what a great mom, wife, and person in general she is.
So wuvvie (her nickname), this is for you. I have chosen to put this here because this forum reaches around the globe, and they are one great group of people to associate with (after all, they tolerate me, just like you do). This thread will be read by anywhere from 10 to 10,000 people, and I want them AND you to know that I love you today as much as ever. You have been a perfect wife, friend, and companion to me, even when I didn't deserve it. Hope you enjoy your moment in the spotlight, and I'm looking foreward to the next 25 years! :yes:
With all my heart,
Larry
I met Janice at a 4th of July barbecue at a friend's place in 1974. I was a 23 year old college graduate, and she was a 17 year old senior at my old high school in Ripon, Ca. At the time, the age difference didn't register. Her family already knew who I was, having gone to high school with her older sister. We dated regularly the first few years. She went to work right out of high school, and in 1978 I landed a pretty good job, bought a Corvette, and put a down payment on a new house. We kept dating, and she started putting pressure on me :yes: , so in 1980 I bought her a mediocre engagement ring (about 1/3 the value of my stereo - fair enough!), and we got married in 1981. I got the idea to start a business in Tracy where I was working, selling hardware and tools to the farmers (patterned after a friend's business). We rented a small warehouse, stocked it up, ane she quit her job at the bank to run the store. But she hated it, and I hated my job, so a year later I quit my job to run the business, and she went back to work at the bank. Tighten the belts! Business was holding it's own, and in 1983 she got a job working for Leprino foods (they make cheese for pizza chains). At her job interview, it was between her and one other girl who was equally qualified, but she had taken my 70 Corvette that day, and the boss was a car nut. Bingo! Business increased, and her salary allowed me to put everything right back and grow. In 1986, we managed to buy a piece of property in Tracy where we could live AND have my business together. Time to tighten the belts once more! Business increased again.
Then came that fateful day. Somewhere around her 31st birthday, as she was leaving her gynecologist's office after her annual checkup, he said, "Oh, by the way...if you plan on having kids, you'd better get started." Now I had already made it 7 years, and it's not that I didn't want kids, I just didn't NEED any. But she brought home a jug of wine, got me likker'd up, and in September of 1988, Elliot was born. She had taken maternity leave from her job, but when it ran out she went back to work. That didn't work. She wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, and I figure she had busted her butt for the last 7 years so I could do my thing, so I told her to quit her $40,000/yr job :tears: and I'd pull the cart myself. Things went OK, and a few years later she bought another bottle of wine and convinced me that Elliot would be lonely by himself, so in April of 1991, Emily came along. By now I figured out what the cause was, so in June I had that little operation that makes you walk funny for a few days. Buy all the wine you want now!
While the business was growing, she was busy not only with the kids, but with pre-school, teaching Sunday school, helping in the classes at elementary school, (both kids were valdictorians at their 8th grade graduation), and she now helps at the high school, as well as being a 4-H leader. Farming is becoming a thing of the past around here, so I now deal in equipment and government surplus. We went without some of the toys, fancy cars, and vacations to invest in property. Our property, which was once farm ground ,is now zoned industrial, and our place is worth quite a bit. Our house needs alot of work, but it will be worth more as an office in a year or two, so we just patch it up here and there. She's always wanted a new home, so when the kids are gone and the developers overtake us, we'll probably build a new house on my parent's ranch about 20 miles from here or ?
For those of you who didn't read my Valentines Day thread, I had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery last Valentines day, so for our 24th anniversary, she and the kids played nursemaid to me. I kinda got lazy after that, and business has dropped off, but it's time to jump start it again. I have two great kids to put through college in a few years, and I have more fun when I'm busy anyway.
So that brings us to March 7, 2006. Circumstances involving both our families prevent us from having a big party for the celebration. We planned on just the four of us going out to dinner, but Emily is sick, so we'll probably just stay home. But all is not lost. Remember how I told you that I bought her kind of a crappy wedding set?
Well, it just so happens that a friend of my son's father is a custom jeweler who works by himself. I got ahold of him around Christmas time and he and I designed a ring for her, which he built. There is a picture below for the ladies, if anyone's interested.
Janice questioned me about anniversary gifts a few weeks ago, but I told her that a property deal we're working on has our funds tied up for a few weeks, so we need to hold off. She has no idea what I've done. She will truly be pissed off. The kids are in on it, too, which makes it even better. And I have shown the ring to all the people who know what a great mom, wife, and person in general she is.
So wuvvie (her nickname), this is for you. I have chosen to put this here because this forum reaches around the globe, and they are one great group of people to associate with (after all, they tolerate me, just like you do). This thread will be read by anywhere from 10 to 10,000 people, and I want them AND you to know that I love you today as much as ever. You have been a perfect wife, friend, and companion to me, even when I didn't deserve it. Hope you enjoy your moment in the spotlight, and I'm looking foreward to the next 25 years! :yes:
With all my heart,
Larry
Last edited:

Very nice Ring! I'm sure Mrs Bentpencil will enjoy the ring and the thoughts, and love behind it.