• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

(3) Model 18s

JHoman

Tubes & Klipsch!
I picked up (3) model 18s at an estate sell. Hope I can get one of them working. Great looking reciver, one popped the fuse, one came on and sounded good on the left and the other I didn't try, the scope had been pulled out of it.

I have a nice 2215B, I hope the 18 sounds as good or better when I get one working.:D
 
Register to hide this ad
The Model 18 is a very sought after receiver. Finding 3 in one place is amazing. It has the warmest sound while maintaining a crispness to the sound of all Marantz receivers. Completely different sounding from the 22XX models. Good luck getting them up and running.
 
Go here for some info on the 18--http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0018.html. 40WPC, should be able to wake most speakers up pretty nicely. Don't pop any more fuses in the bad unit, that one is going to need some serious troubleshooting, I'm afraid. The 18 is a beautiful US made Marantz, hope you can get one (or all) of them going.
 
As onepixel said, the 18 is a very sought-after, much-prized Marantz. Some people say it is the best-sounding receiver Marantz ever made, and while not ultra-rare, they are also not common. And you've got THREE, at one go? :yikes: If I were you, I'd aim at getting two of those working ... but one first! :D

Have you repaired other gear before? If this is your first attempt at receiver repair, you might want to let an experienced tech do this one, and find something less special to practice on, first. If you are okay with DIY troubleshooting/repair, then get the service manual, and proceed carefully. Come back with pics and descriptions as you go, so the brilliant techs around here can help you.

GOOD LUCK! :thmbsp: These receivers are definitely worth a good, careful, thorough and proper restoration.
 
I'm pretty sure the tuner section in the Model 18 receiver is the same as the highly regarded Model 20 tuner, which goes for big bucks. The Model 20 is described as a solid state version of the Model 10b tuner. It's not super sensitive, but with a good antenna the 20 is said by many vintage tuner fans to be the best sounding tuner Marantz ever made.

I hope you are able to get at least one of your Model 18s up and running well! Good luck!
 
Congrats! I briefly had an 18 with a bad channel so I couldn't hear for myself what the hoopla was all about. Hope you can Frankenstein at least one good one.
 
Be careful poking around inside. There are some high voltages in there b/c of the scope. Finding one is difficult, finding 3, well I'd suggest going out and buying a lotto ticket as the force seems to be with you.
 
Back
Top Bottom