• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

3-Voice of the Theater A5

Charivari said:
Goodwill_Hifi, I just want to say, great screen name (I've most all of my audio thanks to Goodwill). It's nice to see a lurker post his/her first time. I hope to see more in the future.

- JP

Thanks :-)

I've found a few good deals at Goodwill. I have yet to find anything that I thought to be super fantastic, However........ not that I would expect that to happen all the time. One thing I still kick myself for passing up were a pair of bare 15" Altec woofers. I thought Goodwill had them way over priced at $70 (each, I think). I didn't reailize how much money they went for on Ebay.

GoodWill_HiFi
Michigan, USA
 
I'm up in South dakota, I have an enclosed trailer, I'll hitch it up behind my F250 and swing down and save them from the dumpsters. I agree, I'd rather be in a restored theater with vintage gear, but I would love to have those in my home! I could make room for them... Just gotta move the couch! Crexrun
 
dgwojo said:
Those old woofers "should" have a date stamped with "OK" on them by the magnet where it mates with the speaker basket, or, on the mounting ring where the bolts are installed to hold the woofer to the cabinet, LU-1081 is the 515 predecessor, Dave. :yes:

Dave,

I thought that LU-1081 was simply the Simplex designation for the Altec 515, much the same way HeathKit used there own model numbers for Altec built drivers. Where did you leard of the LU being a 515 predecessor?

GoodWill_HiFi
Michigan, USA
 
Ya gotta move the couch huh?

crexrun,
Just looking at your avatar,I woulda thought that the couch gets moved plenty. :thmbsp:
 
Goodwill_HiFi said:
Dave,

I thought that LU-1081 was simply the Simplex designation for the Altec 515, much the same way HeathKit used there own model numbers for Altec built drivers. Where did you leard of the LU being a 515 predecessor?

GoodWill_HiFi
Michigan, USA
GW, I think my reconer in Cleveland is mistaken, my LU-1081's are identical, color and all to my 20 ohm Altec 515, too bad the 1081's are in cabinets right now, I could have checked for the Hollywood stamping on the magnets, the 515's do have Hollywood embossed in the magnet. I should mention that I sold all the field replaceable cones from these and had 8 ohm kits installed, Dave. :yes:
 
Why don't you make them portable?

It wouldn't be very hard to put them on a rolling caster assembly that locked down to prevent vibration when in use.

Then, you could have Great Plains Audio rebuild them for a fraction of replacement cost, and WELLA! - a whole NEW set of speakers!

You could even tweak the LF cabinets for even better performance!

Just a thought...at least that's what I would do.
 
Nah, those aren't A4s, those used the 210 cabinet, these look like 211s.

They might not be "A anything" but a custom sort of rig designed around 211s and large format drivers and horns. Or maybe they're Simplexes. I'm not sure.


Nope those are Altec Simplex Voice Of The Theatre .Simplex had a contract with Altec Lansing to manufacture speaker boxes using Altec designed Box and Components.


.........................
 
Just thought i would let you know - that i think i has sold them as of today

thanks for every ones advice - i will be posting some old radio tubes some time down the road - if you are ever in western Nebraska - stop by & take a look at the theater

Thanks
Billy
 
IPC Model LU 1081??????

Hello

We are working with a local theater that has 3 Voice of the Theater speakers.
The cabinets each have an IPC LU1081 in them. The cone has degraded and need replacement.

Does anyone know of a suppler of Recone kits for these speakers.

If not has anyone installed JBL speakers in them as replacents?

We were conteplating installing JBL 2220J or 2225J. Has anyone tried this or have any opinions on doing this.

Thanks in advance for any input
 
Hello

We are working with a local theater that has 3 Voice of the Theater speakers.
The cabinets each have an IPC LU1081 in them. The cone has degraded and need replacement.

Does anyone know of a suppler of Recone kits for these speakers.

If not has anyone installed JBL speakers in them as replacents?

We were conteplating installing JBL 2220J or 2225J. Has anyone tried this or have any opinions on doing this.

Thanks in advance for any input

Contact Freeman-Tuell in Dallas, Texas for cone replacement.
 
Hello

We are working with a local theater that has 3 Voice of the Theater speakers.
The cabinets each have an IPC LU1081 in them. The cone has degraded and need replacement.

Does anyone know of a suppler of Recone kits for these speakers.

If not has anyone installed JBL speakers in them as replacents?

We were conteplating installing JBL 2220J or 2225J. Has anyone tried this or have any opinions on doing this.

Thanks in advance for any input

IPC LU1081 are Original Altec Lansing 515's the only place in the world that still manufactures original Altec replacement parts is

GREAT PLAINS AUDIO In Oklahoma City.Bill the owner bought all of Altecs tooling when the plant closed.He can repair them for a fraction of the cost to replace them with new drivers !!!!

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/
 
Last edited:
I'd unbolt and retain the old cones before sending them anywhere!! I believe you can on those models, Dave.
 
I'd unbolt and retain the old cones before sending them anywhere!! I believe you can on those models, Dave.

True Dave ! But those particular cones with paper surrounds are no longer made anywhere for the 515's,604,B,C, etc... And they had a tendency to dry rot at the surround especially after 60+ years.

First pull the woofers out and inspect them ! If the cones are indeed Bad then replacement is the only option for those 515's.They will be re-coned as 515B's.They will have the accordion pleated doped surrounds.Bill will also re-mag those 60+ year old Alnico magnets.With re-cone and re-mag they will be back to factory spec.

I just had 2 pair of 416's re-coned by Bill they are 10x better than what I sent him.I needed them for my project dual woofer corner boxes.I told Bill that I needed them identical because of the dual woofer alignment.Each pair that I measured when I got them back measured identical to each other WRT the T/S parameters !:D

FWIW: IMHO those 515's are from the early 1950's so they are 60+ years old.They definitely will benefit from a remagnetization,and re-cone if needed.
You can't get those original paper surround 515 cones anymore.Pull one and inspect.Can you post pictures of them ? As posted previously though if you do indeed need to have them repaired. "Great Plains" is the only real Altec repair facility.





936a9e37.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here's what mine look like....

CIMG5908.jpg


CIMG5902.jpg


CIMG5904.jpg


CIMG5903.jpg



A.B. is right. Bill H at GPA can take care of you, but you will get a 515B back. Post some pix so we can take a look at the condition and render an opinion...:scratch2:

Oh yeah I have seen OEM 515 recones on E-Pray, but given the inability to evaluate the condition of the paper, Caveat Emptor...

BTW, most of you prolly know that those speakers that languished unsold for over 18 months are now the centerpiece of my Altec collection. One of these days I'll retell the whole saga of how they wound up in NC, but for now....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157376&highlight=2000th
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom