• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

30 years into the Future with Home Audio?

I remember back in the day(1970's), old guys walking into the stereo shop in tweed jackets smoking pipes and talking about some 30's jazz artist, wanting to know which record players played 78 rpm and what needles worked best on shellac. We thought these guys are out of it.
Fast forward to 2010, we are the guys playing 12" records, walking into Frye's and asking where the tube amps turntables are, wondering how The Beatles will sound in 7.1 surround. It's our turn to be "out of it" now.
 
I like loud music occasionally too, but i also enjoy fine detail and imaging in my music experience. They are not mutually exclusive for me.

Audiophiles have always been in the minority, but it would seem they are more so now the ever before. Far too many people young and old are perfectly happy with compressed .mp3 downloads and don't care if the CD or LP disappears entirely. Especially the young are more into quantity than quality and the fact that they can carry an entire library of music in their shirt pocket.

But then again, maybe I am just a crotchety old man.
 
30 years from now? Huge libraries of music (hundreds of thousands of recordings) instantly accessible from tiny devices. Everything will be hi rez. If stereos exist, I think they will be nearfield listening devices that allow the listener to be completely enveloped in the sound and take the room out of the equation. Ideally, such a system will perfectly reproduce the dynamics of everything from chamber music, to a jazz club, a concert hall, or live rock concert.

I like that, and see it as a positive vision!
:thmbsp:
 
So what are your thoughts of home audio in the feature? Will there be any? Will amps, speakers, source all be the size of a pack of cigarettes? Will it exists but it will all suck? I don't think there will be ANY talk about which cables are better or if there are any difference in detectable sonics- everything will be wireless.

Not really a direct answer, but given the historical accurancy of such predictions, I'd say that whatever we may guess here is going to be wrong.

The next revolution is going to be something that is not even on our radar screens yet....
 
Back
Top Bottom