• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

3A Audio M3 Gen2: What did I just get myself into?

Mainegrw

New Member
Bought a set of 3A Audio M3 Gen 2 towers yesterday on the cheap out of sheer curiosity. They need some work, currently the mid range drivers are out and with a local guy who does surround replacements, but everything else seems to be in great shape. I ran them gently yesterday to make sure they were working and everything was aside from the foam rot on the mids. Cabinet finish is a little worn, but ok, and the grilles seem to be ok, but a little faded. The components in these speakers seem to be very high end for their time (late 80s or early 90s by the 5/89 date on the mid drivers?) from what I see, they have Vifa D26TG-35 tweeters, Seas MCA11FC mids and not sure what the lows are, I have not pulled one as they’re working well.

Wondering what the story of these were? Never heard of 3A, but for the price, they were worth trying out I think. They seem extremely well built, and the low frequency response if anything sounded fantastic in my short test.

Also wondering, one of the badges came off the speaker grille. They are metal badges, but appear to be glued in place? Anybody have a suggestion on what to use to reattach it?

Thanks!

Edit to add: I am no stranger to buying relatively niche boutique speakers, I currently have a small and growing collection of Source Loudspeaker Technologies bookshelf and surround speakers and a one of a kind pair of JSG Prophile bookshelf speakers (also built by Source) that I’ve posted about in the past. This oddball stuff really excites me for some reason.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1811.jpeg
    IMG_1811.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 14
Register to hide this ad
It's actually "Reference 3A". Probably why you're not getting any hits. Don't know anything about this particular model.

The ferrofluid in those tweeters is probably dried up. :(

jeff

images
 
It's actually "Reference 3A". Probably why you're not getting any hits. Don't know anything about this particular model.

The ferrofluid in those tweeters is probably dried up. :(

jeff

images
Thank you! Searching Reference 3A does in fact return more info. As for the tweeters, I wasn’t aware these are fluid filled. The only speakers I’ve worked on with ferrofluid tweeters were the original JBL Eon powered speakers, changing the fluid in those wasn’t too bad, I could definitely do these. Both are perfectly functional otherwise. Any suggestion on where to get fluid and how much to put in?
 
As for the tweeters, I wasn’t aware these are fluid filled.
I have no direct experience with those tweeters, but the internet says they have ferrofluid. Only one way to find out. ;)

I found some ferrofluid at springfieldspeakerrepair dot com. (No affiliation) It's a tiny little packet for a 1" tweeter. You could give them a call and see what's up.

jeff
 
Back
Top Bottom