• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

4 little guys with a couple of questions

Gravelyguy

Active Member
Hi Guys,

I picked up a few low powered receivers Realistic STA 52, STA 65, Kenwood KR 3130, and an Allied 395. They are all cosmetically in good shape, a couple with some very nice wood. Most, I think, just need a good cleaning and deoxit and should be good to go.

I do have a couple of questions. Was the STA 52 a quad? I am trying to figure out the different speaker connections and selector switch and I am not quite getting it. Also what is the difference between "mag" phono in puts and "cer" phono in puts?

Thanks,

Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
STA52 isn't quad; check http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1977/ page 12
It does have "Quatravox", though - artificial 4-channel (probably essentially the Hafler "Dynaquad" trick). Speakers should be straightforward. One passed through here some years back; don't remember anything tricky about it, speaker-hookup-wise.

marantzcd40.jpg

STA-52innards.jpg



"mag" is a standard phono input for a moving magnet (MM or "magnetic" cartridge), with a sensitivity of a couple of millivolts and an RIAA equalizer built in to the amp. The "cer" is an input for an older-style ceramic (piezoelectric) cartridge. These were commonly found on record changers in the 1950s and 1960s (e.g., many, but not all, BSR, Garrard, Collaro, and VM changers) and have a "self-equalizing" output of about 1 volt (i.e., very similar to a normal line-level component like a tuner, tape deck, or CD player).

Allied 395's not a little guy, at 50-ish (continuous) wpc. It is the same receiver as a Pioneer SX-1500T.

allied395.jpg


DSCN0292.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks Mhardy for all the great info. The 395 is very heavy, I just assumed because the other three were low watts that it must be too. It has a beautiful walnut cabinet that really cleaned up nicely.

Dave
 
I had a STA-65C which was the black faced version. Seemed to be a quite well built receiver and some said made by Hitachi. I had a bad channel in it that distorted until it warmed up for about 10-15 minutes. When it worked, it sounded quite good. I gave it away because I did not want to invest in it.
RealisticSTA65C1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom