• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

4K Streaming Devices

Duane

AK Member
Subscriber
Between the Apple, Roku and Amazon Firestick 4K devices, which of the 3 are the better choice. Picked up the 4K Firestick at the discounted price but it seems limited somewhat in that it seems to be mostly Amazons content. Any personal experiences with all 3?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have two of the three. Roku and Amazon Firestick. You've discovered the fly in the ointment with these things. No one does it all. Of the three I've concluded the Apple TV 4K covers most of the bases.

Even besides the apps available to each one, even if they all can install the same app, it doesn't mean they all give the same performance. For example, the app on one might pass the ATMOS information but it may not on the others. Or, maybe two of the three but not all of them. Or, it might work on all three. Or none (but usually not none).

Unfortunately, but probably not surprising, the one that covers the most bases also costs the most; by a wide margin.

Couple times have had my finger on the trigger to get an Apple TV 4K, but been holding off with the rumors of a newer model that's alleged to drop from the Apple tree this year.
 
Last edited:
While I prefer the UI of the Roku, it's worth mentioning that the Fire stick allows you to install apps not in the store.
 
...it's worth mentioning that the Fire stick allows you to install apps not in the store.

It does allow that, but it doesn't guarantee the app will actually work.

Case in point, I managed to install the Spectrum app on Firestick but it doesn't work. As soon as the app starts it updates itself then gives the message, app not authorized or something to that effect. And, yes, I do have Spectrum Internet service and a Spectrum streaming package.

So, I have to run the Spectrum app on the Roku.
 
I guess it's not too surprising that an app that requires some fairly strict security wouldn't work in this contest. I successfully loaded VLC on mine, which is a much better DLNA app than what's offered in the store.
 
I have all three and mainly just use the AppleTV. I much prefer the interface over the other two. In that respect, it is night and day.

If you have tastes outside the mainstream and want to sideload apps, it is easy to do on the Firestick. I personally tried that just to see how it goes, but really don’t want to risk exposing my network to viruses and such. I know a lot of people end up paying for a VPN, though. Roku can install more stuff from their website than right on the device, but I mainly just stick with the normal stuff to be honest.

I also like Airplay 2, Apple Music, Photos, and the Podcast app which aren’t on the other devices ( at least the last time I checked). For me, the AppleTV does everything I need. It will be interesting to see if I ever end up with their gaming service, which I wouldn’t pay extra for. However, I hear that they are bundling services this fall which could have me subscribing to more of their stuff. If I had it, I would definitely try out some of their games.

There is one other benefit of the small “stick” type devices and that is that they are small and are easier to take for travel. Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t make a device with this form factor, but even then it is the one I prefer to take if I will be out of town for several days.
 
Thanks all. With the Apple TV, are the movies and tv shows a better choice than the other 2. Amazon pushes their content way too much.
 
Thanks all. With the Apple TV, are the movies and tv shows a better choice than the other 2. Amazon pushes their content way too much.

The problem is has been said, they all have content that overlaps and they all have some unique stuff. From my research Apple TV covers the most bases all around.

If price is not the main consideration and you want one gadget that does the most, then you'll buy the one from Apple. The caveat with all of them, however, is if you have "must have" apps or features, you have to check to be sure what you buy supports those must haves.
 
I recently purchased a Fire TV Stick 4K. It will decode ATMOS on programs in Amazon Prime. I have not been able to receive Dolby ATMOS on Netflix. Will the Apple TV 4k, or any other device, play Dolby ATMOS when streaming Netflix?
 
I recently purchased a Fire TV Stick 4K. It will decode ATMOS on programs in Amazon Prime. I have not been able to receive Dolby ATMOS on Netflix. Will the Apple TV 4k, or any other device, play Dolby ATMOS when streaming Netflix?

I would have to double check since I haven't used my ATMOS rig lately but I think I've gotten ATMOS on Netflix using Roku.

That's a big rant I went on in the HT subforum after I got a new pre/pro having ATMOS capability. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what player will pass ATMOS from what streaming service. Again though, Apple TV seems to cover the most bases. I haven't looked into the Nvida Shield thing.
 
I have AppleTV and Roku. As noted above, I much prefer the AppleTV interface. Plus, it plays well with all my other Apple devices (iPhones, Macs, and iPad). It integrates with my other apps (like ESPN +, Hulu + Live, and ESPN +) and it has excellent movie deals/prices. Worth the extra upfront investment.
 
Love my Firesticks, they support all the apps I need to run be they video or music.

No one thing supports all the apps. For example, Firestick does not have Spectrum app and it doesn't work when side loaded. But, both Roku and Apple TV can have Spectrum app.

Maybe not important to some, but is to me and exemplifies the point that no one does it all.:thumbsdown:
 
No one thing supports all the apps. For example, Firestick does not have Spectrum app and it doesn't work when side loaded. But, both Roku and Apple TV can have Spectrum app.

Maybe not important to some, but is to me and exemplifies the point that no one does it all.:thumbsdown:
Guess you missed this part in your rush to knock my opinion :dunno:

they support all the apps I need
 
I just found out that Netflix has three Streaming Plans.

  • Basic plan is SD only
  • Standard HD plan Full HD (1080p)
  • Premium ULTRAHD Full HD (1080p) and Ultra HD (4K)

Unless one has the Premium plan, do not expect 4K Netflix programming.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom