• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

$500 to spend on a Mcintosh 2100, Marantz 300DC or Misubishi DA-A15DC

fuzzyme

New Member
If given a choice of buying one of these beauties for $475 which would you rather spend the money on.

A guy is selling and wants $475 for either one:

Mcintosh MC2100
Marantz 300DC
Mitsubishi DA-A15DC (no meters)

I have to choose one so I am turning to AK members for their opinion.

Tell which one you would choose and why.
 
Register to hide this ad
As all three should be recapped I'd go with the Mac. If the chassis has no rust or pitting it's worth more than 475.00. I have both a DA-A15DC and several Mac amps and prefer the Mac sound. Also the Mac will nearly match the Mitsi in useable power before clipping. However, that's just my opinion.
 
Out of the three my vote is for the Marantz 300DC. These are reasonably rare and collectable and this amp is also worth more than the asking price. Oh and they sound wonderful too :D
 
The marantz a close second to the Mcintosh. I am quite biased though. The 2100 is also much easier to work on if some restoration is in order. The two are very nice at 475 if they are in "working" order.
 
The Marantz is a spectacular amp IMO. The Mac, well, I guess it's ok..... if you like that sort of thing..:D
 
If it were me, I would choose the 2100 for serviceability, you could call up McIntosh today and still order parts for it. I had my MC2105 serviced by an AKer few years ago and I was amazed at McIntosh's customer support when it came time to order parts. I also really love the sound of these amps, so I am a bit biased.

On the other hand, before I got the 2105, I looked long and hard at a 300DC. I wasn't completely sold on the looks, but I do know that it is one nice amp and fairly collectable.

A friend of mine had the Mitsubishi in high school, I always thought it looked pretty cool but he didn't have a set up to really take advantage of it. I haven't seen another one since, so I take it they aren't all that common.

I think that both the 300DC and the DA-A15DC will have a better "damping factor" than the 2100, if that is something that means a lot to you. The low damping factor of the 2105 has never been an issue for me, but there are people who take that number very seriously.
 
Thanks for all of your replies. It appears that most of the replies favored the MC2100. It seems that the Mitsubishi is not very popular as none of the AK members recommended it. I narrowed it down to the Mcintosh MC2100 however the Marantz 300 DC was in pristine condition. I would give it a 9.9/10. The MC2100 I would give 7/10. It had a little rust on the edges but not much. Also, it seems like it needs cleaning a bit as the left channel drops out now and then when I flick the mono/stereo switch. I went to buy the MC2100 and I did but I could not pass on the 300 DC so I decided to buy both. I will try to post some photos in a few days for all to see.
 
I'm leaning more towards the Marantz with the condition and the left channel issue of the Mac. I'm not saying it cant be fixed but an apples to apples comparison of them "now"....the Marantz has my vote.
 
Not having heard any of the above except the McIntosh, I'd buy the Mitsubishi, because I think it looks cooler and I only tend to like the sound of solid state made after the late '70s. I've been curious about those Mitsubishi amps since I saw one at a shop awhile back, and read up on them. The Mc looked cool but the sound wasn't really to my taste.
 
Someday, when the right opportunity presents, I'll be a Mac owner. Until then I have tons of stuff to tide me over. My lusts are upgrading, and my gear must follow suit! (hehe)...
 
Mitsubishi, easy. They look cool, not too many around and the -10 that I heard I should have kept. I don't understand the Marantz and Mc cult, I guess.

ETA: The DA 10 sounded very much like a Yamaha M-4, but just a bit warmer.
 
I went to buy the MC2100 and I did but I could not pass on the 300 DC so I decided to buy both. I will try to post some photos in a few days for all to see.

Heh, best of both worlds. A good chance to see how they perform with your system and getting a baseline on them both in current condition. Of course, recapping could and should get a few steps closer to very good working condition for both.

Besides, you could still sell either one at at least break even or make some profit, so win-win.
 
Congrats. I've own all three amps. The MC2100 if in mint and with manual is below market value. The 300DC is also below market value and likely the best value. The Mitsu is probably the most objectively accurate of the three but is overpriced. It sounds a lot like Kenwood L-07M's so it is a good amp. Good call on your choices.
 
Congrats. I've own all three amps. The MC2100 if in mint and with manual is below market value. The 300DC is also below market value and likely the best value. The Mitsu is probably the most objectively accurate of the three but is overpriced. It sounds a lot like Kenwood L-07M's so it is a good amp. Good call on your choices.

That right there is the oddness of the vintage market for me, and how much brand plays into things. Possibly best of the amps, the Mitsubishi in my opinion- being the overpriced one because it has the wrong name on the front. But financially, its a good call.
 
Congratulations on your purchase. That is exactly what I would have done. I was going to suggest that you buy the Mcintosh and the Marantz at that price. Then I saw that is what you did. Good job, enjoy!
 
Thanks for all of your replies. It appears that most of the replies favored the MC2100. It seems that the Mitsubishi is not very popular as none of the AK members recommended it. I narrowed it down to the Mcintosh MC2100 however the Marantz 300 DC was in pristine condition. I would give it a 9.9/10. The MC2100 I would give 7/10. It had a little rust on the edges but not much. Also, it seems like it needs cleaning a bit as the left channel drops out now and then when I flick the mono/stereo switch. I went to buy the MC2100 and I did but I could not pass on the 300 DC so I decided to buy both. I will try to post some photos in a few days for all to see.

Good call, that means more Mitsu amps for me. I've not heard the 300DC, but I prefer the Mitsu over the Mac any day. And yes, the price for the Mitsu was high. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom