• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

50uf 6v electrolytic caps! replace with?

loomis

bland
Hello. In this Layfayette integrated 224 I am restoring there are a few 50mfd 6v (!) electrolytic capacitors. Nothing even remotely close to these online that I've found thus far.

There are some 100mfd 25v (wv) caps in this thing as well.

What would be ok replacement-wise as far as going up on the uf/voltages on these caps?

Thanks,
Loomis
 
Register to hide this ad
More info is needed:

* Axial or radial (leads at both ends or both leads at one end)

* Temperature tolerance

* Application (Filter, signal coupling, timing, etc.)

47uF, 6.3v is common

You can use 10v with no problem. I would not expect to find 50uF but 47uF is easy.

Rich P
 
You can always go up in voltage. Keep the uFd value as close as possible lest you pass into mod-land!
 
Lman said:


Yup that will work just fine. When replacing any capacitor you can always raise the voltage rating with no ill effect (never lower the voltage rating). But try to keep the uF value reasonably close unless you know what effect the change will have on the frequecy response and stability.

Craig
 
loomis said:
Hello. In this Layfayette integrated 224 I am restoring there are a few 50mfd 6v (!) electrolytic capacitors. Nothing even remotely close to these online that I've found thus far.

There are some 100mfd 25v (wv) caps in this thing as well.

What would be ok replacement-wise as far as going up on the uf/voltages on these caps?

Thanks,
Loomis

I use non-polarized NP/bi-polar BP loudspeaker crossover capacitors on a regular basis in tube equipment repairs. Typically you would used them on the cathode to ground for the power tubes. Loudspeaker capacitors are at least 50V and do not care which lead you hook-up to the cathode or ground. They also have the advantage of being cheap.
 
Back
Top Bottom