• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6 ohm to 8 0hm

guitarman50

Super Member
I have a Pioneer SX-828 that is 8 ohms. I'm considerina a pair of Monitor Audio RS-6 speakers on line that are 6 ohm. Is it advisable to use those speakers with my receiver? Should I just stick with 8 ohm speakers? What would the effects be of using these speakers with my receiver?
 
Register to hide this ad
No worries. That's a safe impedance load for your SX-828, as long as you aren't running another pair of speakers at the same time in parallel.

The RS-6s are reasonably efficient. They should play at a decent volume in a typical size listening space before the Pioneer runs out of steam.
 
Well, I tend to be conservative with this kind of thing, as no one knows how much life is left in your SX-828. Oh, and the fact that they're not being made anymore. It's not as if the electronics become more robust with the passage of time. Your receiver will run hotter driving a lower impedance load. How much hotter and whether it matters depends on how loud and how long you play it. But, hey, (as Dennis Miller used to say) maybe I'm wrong.
 
I don't know how much power your Pioneer is rated at, but you should have no problem driving the MA's with it. See my signature. I love my RS8's.
BTW, your receiver will have more power at 6 ohms than at 8.

I just Googled your SX-828. 50 wpc @ 8 ohms should be plenty to drive those RS6's. My Proton is rated at 50 wpc@ 8 ohms also and drives my MA's effortlessly. Although rated at 50 wpc, the Proton tested out at 68 wpc @ 8 ohms and 105 wpc @ 4 ohms. I'd guess that it's pushing around 85 to 90 wpc @ 6 ohms.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom