• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6 TurnTables worth investing in?

wilsane

New Member
Hey there, here's a list of the tables I found during some basement cleanup...
Can anyone tell me which one are keepers and worth restoring?

Pioneer PL-600
Pioneer PL-4

Technic SC-BD27
Technic SL-QL5

JVC LA-31

Sanyo TP-1010

Thanks alot!
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like none of those will win any beauty contests, but I'd say the PL-600 is a keeper...maybe the SL-QL5, too. But a lot I know. :screwy:
 
If that is the old silver PL-600, it is most definitely a keeper! Very nice tables with a great arm. :thmbsp:
 
I basicly have a PL-600, if its silver and weighs alot get it. Look at the JVC and Technis too though.
 
Hey, can you check out and give me any info on the JVC? I have a guy locally who has the same model that we haggled to $40 - I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. I very much appreciate any info you can give on it. Thanks!
 
sooo bottom line, keep the pl-600 and the technics throw the others away? also my grandma gave me today a RCA all-in wood all in solid wood Q100 dont know much about it except it sounds pretty good. Its written Garrard on the turntable, an its written The Lexington Quant/Aural sound System.
 
Could we see pictures of them all? It might help. Also I'd keep some of the extra ones if they are decent. Pictures would help a lot here.
 
The PL-600 is absolutely a keeper. I think it's unquestionably the best of the lot. The Sanyo could be the sleeper. I'm not familiar with that particular model but some Sanyos are a hell of a lot better than most folks give them credit for.

Don't know about that SL-BD27. It's relatively new, (around 1990?) Might just be BPC but you're the better judge since it's there looking at you.

John
 
The PL-600, if silver with the s-arm, is the winner, but none are junk and none should be thrown away. If you don't want them, put them on craigslist or take them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Or list them in the AK classifieds. There are lots of members, especially newbies, who would love to have one of these.

The PL-4 is a reasonably decent straight arm DD, full auto model from 1981. Member beej has this entire series of tts and can attest to its quality.

The SL-QL5 is a decent, full auto, DD Quartz linear tracker.

The SL-BD-27 is a semi-auto, straight arm, belt drive. Probably the least of the pack, but still not horrible by any means, and certainly capable of good music with a half-decent cartridge.

The JVC is similar to the Pioneer PL-4, except semi-auto.

The Sanyo is a belt drive, s-arm, auto-return with pitch control, so the functional equivalent of a Technics SL-B2 or a Pioneer PL-516. Again, far from being junk.
 
sooo bottom line, keep the pl-600 and the technics throw the others away? also my grandma gave me today a RCA all-in wood all in solid wood Q100 dont know much about it except it sounds pretty good. Its written Garrard on the turntable, an its written The Lexington Quant/Aural sound System.

:nono: This is AK - someone can benefit from those even if they are a starter TT for a vinyl newbie, or fodder for a DIY RCM…
 
Even a dontation to Salvation Army or AmVets or Goodwill for the few you don't want. Keeps them out of the land fill, gives someone the gift of music, and proceeds go to help the needy.
 
Even a dontation to Salvation Army or AmVets or Goodwill for the few you don't want. Keeps them out of the land fill, gives someone the gift of music, and proceeds go to help the needy.

Please DO NOT donate to the thrifts. :no: They have proven themselves (generally) unable to manage stereo equipment.

If you want to give them so someone deserving, post them on CL in the free section and require a few words about their intended use. (A flipper probably won't bother, but someone really interested won't mind...)

OR: Post them on your local Freecycle group, and make the same request for a few words on what the recipient will do with it. Freecycle.org is “dedicated to keeping good useable tangible items out of landfills” and is making a significant dent in that direction. (My local group probably averages around a thousand “OFFER” posts per month, many having multiple items or even lists of items, and covers ONE town in the greater SF bay area.) :thmbsp:
 
I have a Technics SL-BD27, currently filling in in my secondary / home office system. It does have the BPC look, and it's very light and flimsy and plasticky, but it plays acceptably well for basic listening. I'd say it's at least as good as the new tables out there in the sub-$150 range. Definitely not hi-fi, but I'm sure somebody could put it to use if you don't want it. I don't know anything about the other tables, but I strongly agree with everyone else who said don't trash any of these. Give them away if you don't want them yourself, but somebody would be glad to have them.
 
Please DO NOT donate to the thrifts. :no: They have proven themselves (generally) unable to manage stereo equipment.

If you want to give them so someone deserving, post them on CL in the free section and require a few words about their intended use. (A flipper probably won't bother, but someone really interested won't mind...)

OR: Post them on your local Freecycle group, and make the same request for a few words on what the recipient will do with it. Freecycle.org is “dedicated to keeping good useable tangible items out of landfills” and is making a significant dent in that direction. (My local group probably averages around a thousand “OFFER” posts per month, many having multiple items or even lists of items, and covers ONE town in the greater SF bay area.) :thmbsp:

Not to rain on your Freecycle commercial, ;) but there's good reason to donate to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, St Vincent's et al. They use the sales proceeds for charitable works. For instance, right now in Haiti.

Plus, I've made some pretty darned good thrift store scores over the years in, of all places, the Greater SF Bay area.

Nothing wrong with Freecycle, nothing wrong with craigslist but nothing wrong with thrift stores either.

John
 
Not to rain on your Freecycle commercial, ;) but there's good reason to donate to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, St Vincent's et al. They use the sales proceeds for charitable works. For instance, right now in Haiti.

Plus, I've made some pretty darned good thrift store scores over the years in, of all places, the Greater SF Bay area.

Nothing wrong with Freecycle, nothing wrong with craigslist but nothing wrong with thrift stores either.

John

First off, I did put the word "generally" in there for a reason, however:

You clearly haven’t been to any of my local thrifts where they think nothing of mishandling and in some cases deliberately destroying anything they think won't sell (I watched one place hosing down everything in their dumpster to insure no one got any use of anything they tossed.) I haven’t found anything worth having in electronics in several years in any of them locally, and the only one that still bothers to set any electronics out is all BCP and most of that is broken, and scratched to hell and gone. :thumbsdn:

Many others here at AK can corroborate that other thrifts do similar jobs.

If other thrifts treat the gear decently, fine use em, but to feed the landfills do to ignorance and deliberate maliciousness does not make them my friends. I give stuff to the thrifts, but only what I see they might actually sell, since none of them any longer use old TV’s for instance to train someone into a new career.
 
Even a dontation to Salvation Army or AmVets or Goodwill for the few you don't want. Keeps them out of the land fill, gives someone the gift of music, and proceeds go to help the needy.

That's an awful lot for one turntable to do. Nowhere else can something so small do so much. I've bought from and donated to the thrifts, although most of my giving is to the Salvation Army.
 
Back
Top Bottom