• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

60000 new songs added to Spotify....every day!

allmanbros

Well-Known Member
Ran across this article in MUSICWORLDBUSINESS.COM. in 2021......some mind boggling numbers from Spotify execs......some that stand out.... (1) 60k per day = 22 million per year, (2) there are 8 million creators (artists + podcasters), on Spotify (3) of the 8m creators, about 800 generate streaming plays to earn $1m revenue (year 2020), (4) about 7500 generate enough to realize $100k (year 2020)......and Spotify expects these numbers to INCREASE dramatically in the coming years....no wonder artists can"t get their material exposed effectively.

This article was referenced in MARKETWATCH, a publication that tracks market trends...this article states that streams of current music (since 2015) decreased by 19.4% in 2021 while music prior to 2015 has increased by 29.4%.....this is caused in part by baby boomers and millennials getting on the streaming platform and preferring the music of their generation to the new stuff.....also explains why artists are selling their music portfolios for millions of dollars....it appears to be a "sound" investment for the buyers.

Interesting reading, just type in "60000 songs added to Spotify" and it will bring up the article.
 
Register to hide this ad
Did they mention how many songs are removed every day?
No, that was not stated in the article......it did say that Spotify currently has about 70m tracks and I read in another article that iTunes and Utube claim to have that same number.....are you thinking they drop as many as they add?......with 70m tracks no!way can they all generate revenue, so that could be very possible I guess......it also said that 57,000 of the creators share 90% of the total revenue at Spotify.....lots of starving artists out there!
 
Supposedly Spotify removed 750,000 songs in January. Sounds like it had do do with fraudulent inflated play counts.

I plan to switch to Tidal soon, for among other reasons, they pay artists quite a lot more that Spotify. $0.12 per stream vs. $0.0033.
Also, I am tired of waiting for Spotify to do lossless.
Wow, 750,000 sounds like a lot but that's just over 1%!.......I don't stream (yet) but good on you to support the artists for best pay!
 
>relative
I suppose, but why can't Spotify pay more too as the largest streaming service? Getting more play isn't really an excuse, it's just the company making 36x the profit off artists
Oh I’m not making excuses for anyone, I’m all for the artists making more for sure. I just never trust big business to do the right thing. Tidal charges quite a bit more so they should pay more to the artists, right?
 
>relative
I suppose, but why can't Spotify pay more too as the largest streaming service? Getting more play isn't really an excuse, it's just the company making 36x the profit off artists
Spotify is projected to first be profitable later this year. The rest of streaming services are losing $ as well. In fact, Spotify has somewhat cut their losses by offsetting them with popular and profitable podcasts. Like it or not, that's the business model across all the streaming services.

Here's what Id be fine with: a streaming platform that doesn't have catalogues of all the popular artists from 50 years ago as I rarely listen to that. The big $$ in streaming goes to a few thousand popular contemporary and classic artists. I'd be fine without ever hearing most of that stuff. Wore it out 30-40 years ago.
 
Oh I’m not making excuses for anyone, I’m all for the artists making more for sure. I just never trust big business to do the right thing. Tidal charges quite a bit more so they should pay more to the artists, right?

Yup, I hear ya; Spotify has always irked me in particular though, as the market leader. They seem content to keep the bar quite low.
 
Oh I’m not making excuses for anyone, I’m all for the artists making more for sure. I just never trust big business to do the right thing. Tidal charges quite a bit more so they should pay more to the artists, right?

Tidal Hifi actually costs the same as Spotify now, and actually has lossless. You can pay more for the Hifi Plus, which has all sorts of things like Atmos.
 
Spotify is projected to first be profitable later this year. The rest of streaming services are losing $ as well. In fact, Spotify has somewhat cut their losses by offsetting them with popular and profitable podcasts. Like it or not, that's the business model across all the streaming services.

Here's what Id be fine with: a streaming platform that doesn't have catalogues of all the popular artists from 50 years ago as I rarely listen to that. The big $$ in streaming goes to a few thousand popular contemporary and classic artists. I'd be fine without ever hearing most of that stuff. Wore it out 30-40 years ago.
Spotify’s market cap two years ago was $60billion, they weren’t losing any money at all.
 
They have not been revenue positive until this year.
Completely untrue, very profitable indeed.

Imagine you're walking down the road from work with a sack on your back containing $32billion (Spotify's market cap increase from 2019 to 2020), and along the way $500mil (Spotify's losses in that period) bounces out into the ditch. When you get home, you look in the sack and there's only $31billion and change in there! That's not losing money, that's massive growth and profit. They slept on their lead though, and let other players into the game recently so their market share has taken a hit.
 
Completely untrue, very profitable indeed.

Imagine you're walking down the road from work with a sack on your back containing $32billion (Spotify's market cap increase from 2019 to 2020), and along the way $500mil (Spotify's losses in that period) bounces out into the ditch. When you get home, you look in the sack and there's only $31billion and change in there! That's not losing money, that's massive growth and profit. They slept on their lead though, and let other players into the game recently so their market share has taken a hit.
Imagine you run a company with a market cap of $31B, yet your profitability currently stands at -0.35%. Your current EPS for March, 2022 is -0.22. Your sack of money isn't earnings - its market cap. We can argue this all day but they are not quite profitable, yet. Speculative stock appreciation is what has driven their market cap to current levels.
 
That's like saying that you are losing money renovating your house when it's valuation shot up $30 billion dollars. All stocks are speculation, that's what runs the system; if your market cap goes up over 100% in one year you aren't losing, you are the envy of everyone else in your business. It is as simple a that.
 
Back
Top Bottom