• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6SN7 (with adaptor) replacement for 6CG7?

tutor_turtle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a pair of Luxman MB3045 monoblocks w/ KT-88 mod. I've been doing some tube rolling on the V3 / V4 locations (where the obsolete 6240 goes).
I'm driving Klipsch Cornwal IV's.
I've tried the 6GU7, it's a more forward presentation than the 6CG7/6FQ7 ( the tube recommended in the KT-88 modification instructions.)
Maybe a little too forward, given the already forward nature of Klipsch Heritage series.
I've seen many designs using 6SN7 driving KT-88's et/el. I found an adaptor socket that allows for 6SN7 to be fitted to a 6CG7 location.
Has anyone gone down this route?
 
Register to hide this ad
6CG7 and 6SN7 are electrically identical tubes, just different packages. Not really a big fan of octal to noval adapters just from a mechanical POV but electrically it works fine.

6FQ7 is also the same electrically. One has a shield between the sections, one does not, except when neither do. You'll often find them with both types printed on the tube.

I'd probably explore more 6CG7 or 6FQ7 tubes first though. Both are fairly cheap and visually it doesn't look weird like a 6SN7 on an adapter to a 9 pin socket does.
 
Back
Top Bottom