• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

78 rpm mono cart for Garrard SL-72B?

I have a Garrard SL-72B that I would like to turn into a dedicated 78rpm table. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 78 rpm mono cart that would work well with the SL-72B and it's tonearm? Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
A couple days ago I was playing 78s on my Dual 1229 using a Stanton 680 cartridge with an EVG-Japan 3 mil 78 needle with a suggested VTF range of 2-5 grams. The 1229 settings only go up to 3 grams, but that sounded fine. Sometimes a Stanton 680 without a good stylus sells for pretty cheap, or you could get the electrically same Pickering XV-15 which can use Stanton 680 style needles, too. I believe Voice of Music still has that needle in stock -- look for their part number 4822-D3. I checked recently, in case I wanted to buy a spare.
 
What Shure did with their dedicated to 78 RPM M78 cartridge was jumper the pins for both channels.

Et voila....a mono cartridge.
 
My other usual vote for mono 78 is a GE RPX but you'd need a single play model. The stylus flipper goes up through the top and that doesn't work with a slider mount.
 
My other usual vote for mono 78 is a GE RPX but you'd need a single play model. The stylus flipper goes up through the top and that doesn't work with a slider mount.

And for a GE RPX or VR II, I'd really recommend hunting down a Garrard RC-80 or RC 88 for that, which would perform much better there. Especially a model wired for mono.
 
Back
Top Bottom