• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

9090DB FM advice

PF Sound

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm just finishing a restoration & have come across this issue. When in FM stereo mode, I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear it at all, & I'm getting no "FM stereo" lamp (grounding pin 9 lights it up). If I switch to "mono" it plays loud & clear. The muting switch has no effect. The tuning needle & SS are both working & the unit actually tunes in stations nicely. I've checked all the voltages on the mpx chip & they all jive but there's no change on pin 9 when tuning on/off stations, just a constant 8.5-9v..........bad HA1196? I've tweaked VR3 & VR4 to see if I get any change but nope.
I ordered a replacement IC from the bay (semtrnous), but I was curious about something I found. This unit, although otherwise showing no signs of work, had R107 snipped & a 4.7k in series with R72 to give around 26.7k @ VR4. C57 measured 379pF......just wondering if I should correct this to spec or not sweat it.
Screenshot (1).png
 
Register to hide this ad
Do you have 76Khz at TP02? Pretty uncommon to have these chips fail. Much more common to have alignment issues. Without a good discriminator zero and signal strength. Tune and signal volume pots and the muting/indicator adjustment all have to adjusted correctly.
 
I neglected to check that. I already removed the old 1196 & installed a socket, but it'll be another day or two til the new one arrives so I'll put the original back in & check.
 
Following the instructions for the VCO using a freq. counter, I have nothing at TP02.....just garbled numbers. I don't have stereo mpx input ability so I'm just shorting TP03 to chassis (tried with no short too) as instructed & checking at TP02 while tuned on/off stations. Tweaking VR04 had no effect at all.
 
Interesting....... I have nothing but garble at TP02, but when I clip onto the R72/R107 "junction" (pin 16) I get a spot-on 76khz when tuned to a station, & it drops a bit when off station (hard to find an off-station spot with this unit).
Odd though......TP02, as marked on the board, is before pin 2 on the HA1196, tied to C28 & L02. I can't find it on the schematic although there is a "circle" near VR04 which seems to indicate a test point.....& when looking at page 9 in the SM, they have TP02 & TP03 transposed. I'm guessing the "circle" near VR04 on the schematic is the real TP02 & the 76khz is present where it should be.
 
Last edited:
I guess pin 12 should go to near 0v when stereo is detected....& it isn't.....stuck on about .720v no matter what. Going backwards, I've got 0v on the base of TR05 because I've got 0v coming out of D08. Somewhere between TR04 & TR05 I've got a problem.
Screenshot (2).png
 
I've now got output on cathode of D08.....peaked it to 2.15v. It was sitting around 1.8v & adjusting T04 moved it up down. I can adjust VR03 now but it doesn't seem to matter how far I run it to change the base of TR05, I still get no change of the .72v on pin 12 of the HA1196. I'm stumped now .....don't know if I'm even on the right track.:dunno:
 
Back
Top Bottom