• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A “the Bay” happy ending

PureQuill

AK Member
Subscriber
After reading all of the horror stories ....:whip:
It is easy to forget that some of the TT’s that get sold are delivered in one piece:beatnik: So it’s nice to hear when one makes it safely.

While local & from AK’ers is always best :thmbsp: sometimes an online gamble payes off:banana:

Here is my New Harmon Kardon hk 720... not much about this table on HK or the net. I own A HK T60 & T40...so I figured if I would make a stupid “low ball" offer & see what happens. How bad could be a HK TT with an ITO Microtrace arm & Ortofon LM15 cart be?:dunno:

Suprise it’s not too bad to my ears anyways:music:

Only issues is a stretched out belt (I figured it would need a new one anyway) & the auto shut off lifts at the end & then resets the arm back down in the run out grove...:sigh:
I hope it is just an adjustment...Any help with would be great! Going to download the service manual from VE & sand & polish the dust cover
DSC_8452_zpsce8e7e7f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].

As a note the wise..... I checked this sellers feedback & he had 9 happy TT buyers in the last 6 months. So with PayPal buyers protection plan I figured I didn’t have a lot to lose.
I have had bigger bar tabs than this TT cost delivered not a down right steal but worth what I payed to me anyway!:guitar:
As always YMMV
Cheers PQ
 
Register to hide this ad
Picked up a Technics SL-1600 off eBay 3 weeks ago, basically new in box ... 40+ years old and the seller was clueless about turntables (gulp). I talked him down a bit after consulting the experts here and begged for careful packing. Showed up double boxed and in MINT condition. It was really a sight to be seen. Still had a gold ribbon tied around the tonearm and rice paper covering the rubber mat. All the original packing in tact and after about a $50 tune up bill - it's fantastic. I was more than pleased and the seller was really a nice person.

Sometimes it pays to take a chance ...
 
You hear more about the horror stories from buying on ebay a lot more than the success stories. Kind of like anything else online.
 
You hear more about the horror stories from buying on ebay a lot more than the success stories. Kind of like anything else online.

I hear you thats why I posted a good result for a change!:D

Now to figure out the automation issue. After looking at a you tube video & doing some reading it seems this is supposed to be a “semi-automatic” (not Auto Lift) and return the tonearm to its resting place.
Works grate as manual TT in my book for what I paid but I would love to get “fully” operational.

Anyone have any ideas on fixing this?:scratch2:
Pretty sure it wasn’t damaged in shipping & had the problem before it came to my house.
 
An Idea

Congratulations! It is very nice indeed to hear (and see) a success story! Make sure to give him/her a good feedback rating. Sounds like it is very well-deserved. Amidst my latest frustrating purchases of turntables that arrived destroyed from irresponsible and dishonest sellers, I have actually had a few good experiences with sellers that not only took my packing advice seriously, but over-packed to the 9's to the point of probably losing money on shipping and materials. The good guys ARE out there. I have an idea. Well, more of a desire. It probably won't happen, but here goes.

What I would like to see on this forum is something similar to an "Angie's List" for turntable sellers as a resource to our members for reputable "auction site" turntable sellers. The auction site probably has the largest selection of vintage turntables available anywhere. I know there are all kinds of ways it could potentially be misused and abused, but I think it is worth considering. Perhaps it could offered as a benefit for subscribers to AK. On the flip side, a list of "bad" sellers could be offered.

I'm not at all sure what the forum's policy is on things of this nature. Recognizing conscientious sellers for doing due diligence on packing and providing good customer service could be a good thing. I for one would like to see a list of reputable sellers that have made our members happy recipients of vintage turntables.

Anyone want to chime in?

David
 
I never heard of a 720. When were they made, and where do they stand in relation to the T-series?
 
I have purchased 4 AR tables over the past few months on eBay with NO problems. Very well packed each and every one. Due Diligence.

The latest arrival, an XB, included an Ortofon M20E Super that was not in the description...bonus!

On the flip side I have had two tables shipped from sellers on the Agon site...both need some education in packing turntables. One...a B&O 4004 that was near mint had tape jammed between the platter and base plate...even though it has a lock down feature. DUH!!!! Fortunately it survived...just tape residue to clean up.
 
Last edited:
PureQuill thanks for the positive post. For whatever reason, some of the worst packing I've seen has come from AK transactions. I'm an OCD packer, so maybe I'm tough to please.

Part of this is Amazon syndrome, everyone wants free/cheap shipping now, which is shortsighted compared to getting the item intact. That extra few bucks will melt away with time, a damaged item will stick in the memory longer.
 
From what the OP is saying the Ebay seller had 9 turntable transactions in 6 months, I'd say that's a solid record and a pretty safe bet to bid/buy. Pays to read the sellers feedback.
 
From what the OP is saying the Ebay seller had 9 turntable transactions in 6 months, I'd say that's a solid record and a pretty safe bet to bid/buy. Pays to read the sellers feedback.

Yep do your homework on the seller before you bid:thmbsp:
Cheers
PQ
 
Back
Top Bottom