• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A-1000 right channel issue

Jeff F

Active Member
I picked up an A1000 amp the week before x-mas. It had been in storage for approx 8 months or so but worked prior to storage seller said. I get it home and cleaned all switches, pots and selectors as best I can. The left channel is fine but the right channel isn’t right. The lows seem ok but mids and upper tones sound “scratchy”. Almost like listening through a blown speaker. Took cover off to deox and noticed some glue around caps on main board but not terrible. Was able to pick some off of the board and between caps. There is a small amount of corrosion on 4 resistors close to right side caps on main board. They are still solidly soldered to board. My question, why would the upper tones sound like this when the lower tones sound fine? I am more mechanical than electrical but would like to learn more about trouble shooting and possibly repairing this amp. Thanks for any input on this
Jeff
 
Register to hide this ad
Does sharply increased volume have any influence on the SQ?
 
Both tone controls work, nether adds to or takes away from the issue. I was using headphones at first then hooked speakers up. It definitely is all tones on the channel, not just mids and highs like I earlier reported. Also noticed the right channel pulsates for about 5-7 seconds when internal switch kicks speakers on. This is audible with volume down all the way
 
. Also noticed the right channel pulsates for about 5-7 seconds when internal switch kicks speakers on. This is audible with volume down all the way
Tap on the protect relay..While listening for SQ.
 
I read that ic-racer, very frustrating it sounds like. That would probably will be the next thing that I do. Was just wondering if anyone maybe had this same issue and could point me in the right direction.
 
What is “SQ”? I feel like all the reading I have done I should know but it’s not ringing a bell
 
Bummer...

What input are you using? What source are you using? Have you tried tone defeat yet?
 
Currently using aux input. Tried the dad input got same result. Yes, have used direct, same result.
 
Did you swap your input source L-R and R-L? Did it stay in the same channel?
 
The only controls on front of amp I haven’t been able to clean are the input selectors. They are push button but on the backside there are no openings to get any cleaner in,they are sealed white rectangles soldered on input board. Is there any way to clean this type of push button selector?
 
Back
Top Bottom