• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Brace of KEF's

sealy

Addicted Member
So much for my New Year's resolution to cut my collection down to 3 pairs. I picked these up within days of one another, both pairs in excellent condition. One of the Caprice tweeters has a small horizontal crease, but it appears not to affect the sound. The C30's I got from a musician who had a houseful of upright basses and the KEF Caprice 203's from a fellow Ak'er, Two Coaster.

Both pairs have identically-sized Bextrene woofers, although they are not the same driver, the Caprice woofer having the larger voice-coil. The Caprice' also have what appears to be a T-300 tweeter, while the C30's have what appears to be an Audax tweeter. Both have the customary KEF sound, with the Caprice seeming to have slightly more refined mids and highs. The Caprice' also appear to be better built, at least regards the cabinets, although I have not yet seen the innards the C30's.

I have just completed re-capping the Caprice', however I did leave one 4.2uf cap alone until I determined whether or not it should be replaced. It is black with brown ends. I'm not sure if it is electrolytic.

All in all, two good finds for a total of $130.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
are you talking about the 50V low leakage, It apears it could say 4.2 but I can't quite make out; It IS an electrolytic Non Polar/Bipolar.

Absolutely Replace this!!


Nice speakers!

tal
 
Will do and thanks. It is 4.2uf. You live in a great state. We used to dip down there when we travelled to eastern British Columbia to hunt Elk and Whitetails. Too bad they imposed speed limits.
 
Thanks, they are indeed in great shape. Now if I could only find a pair of 105's or C80's.
 
No grass...

...grows under your feet, Sealy! Recapping within hours. Hopefully you are enjoying them:yes:

tc
 
Back
Top Bottom