dogwan
Dogwan
Have a Cambridge DacMagic (original) that uses a 12 volt AC to AC wall wart power supply. All DC rectification happens inside the case. A while back there were multiple "upgrade" power supplies that some raved about, but I think they were just bigger AC-AC transformers.
Anyway, I have been using the original power supply which has had the case disintegrate as they all did due to heat. It still works and is safe enough because I've secured the cover with zip-ties. However, I realized I have this older AC-AC with higher capacity. Should work just fine, I just have to splice on the proper sized plug.
Which leads to my question.... will I realize any sonic benefits in this scenario with a beefier supply?
The Boston Acoustics power supply is twice the mA capability (I don't even know where the PS came from)
I'm tempted to do the surgery just for safety and an added bonus will be this alternative supply has a normal plug on a pig tail for the wall end, so it will be less crowded on the power strip. But, I will not be able to do an A/B comparison to see if the beefier supply will make an audible difference.
Thoughts?

Anyway, I have been using the original power supply which has had the case disintegrate as they all did due to heat. It still works and is safe enough because I've secured the cover with zip-ties. However, I realized I have this older AC-AC with higher capacity. Should work just fine, I just have to splice on the proper sized plug.
Which leads to my question.... will I realize any sonic benefits in this scenario with a beefier supply?
The Boston Acoustics power supply is twice the mA capability (I don't even know where the PS came from)
I'm tempted to do the surgery just for safety and an added bonus will be this alternative supply has a normal plug on a pig tail for the wall end, so it will be less crowded on the power strip. But, I will not be able to do an A/B comparison to see if the beefier supply will make an audible difference.
Thoughts?
