• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Day Out Halibut Fishing

Scorpion8

Addicted Member
Had some really nice weather last weekend and got out to do some halibut fishing. Halibut, if you don't know, is a bottom feeding flatfish that cooks up par-excellance!

Anyway, I thought some scenic shots were in order:

1st, a view of the halibut grounds. A few boats all anchored and jigging on the bottom for halibut:

HalibutFishing03.jpg


Next, how can you not enjoy fishing when your backdrop is snow capped mountains and tidewater glaciers feeding their way thru the mountains.

EagleGlacierfromLynnCanal02.jpg


And finally, you always pass the old abandoned Coast Guard lighthouse system. This one is Sentinel Island Light, which will soon become a private bed and breakfast place....

SentinelIslandLightHousefromLynnCan.jpg


Managed to hook 4 halibut, but only got to boat one of them. A nice 12-lb'er, that we are grilling tonight for halibut tacos. Mmmmmmm.... gotta go, the BBQ is hot and waiting.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yum

I love Halibut! :yes: Nice pictures as always. So a 12 pounder, that's like a baby halibut right? How deep is the water where you were fishing?
 
You need to stop posting pictures like that! :D

I miss that place! :yes:

I spent almost 2 years on Kodiak Island and did plenty of Halibut fishing myself. Worked on a crab boat called the FV Eskimo Princess for about 6 months. Had a blast.

My brother still lives in Kodiak, been there since 1971, and his two daughters are living in Anchorage.



Retro
 
I love Halibut! :yes: Nice pictures as always. So a 12 pounder, that's like a baby halibut right? How deep is the water where you were fishing?

The world record is a 32-year-old, 800+ pound female caught several years ago.

The bigger ones have teeth that will take a hand or some fingers off. When I fished them, we'd take a skiff (small boat) out and pull in the "skate" of bated hooks with a motorized wheel. One person would gaff the larger ones and hold a bat in the other hand to knock the suckers unconscious if needed.



Retro
 
Thats one of my favorite fish. I got to get Nadia to agree to a vacation out there sometime. Problem is I'd want to drive and take a month to do it.
 
I love Halibut! :yes: Nice pictures as always. So a 12 pounder, that's like a baby halibut right? How deep is the water where you were fishing?

Yea, the small ones are called "chicken" halibut, and aren't as prized as the big 200-250lb ones you get ocassionally. Except that the chicken halibut make better eating. But if you're after food-on-the-table, the small ones are great. And there's less fighting. That 12-lb'er took me about 20 minutes to bring up from 170ft of water, as we were fishing the side of a sea-mount at feeding time.
 
Great shots. My most memorable vacation was in Alaska. Great place from mid-May to the end of August.
We order our fish from Alaska, that way we know it is good and not full of contaminants.
How do you do so? Can't beat a nice piece of halibut. Wonderful fish.
 
I had nothing to do, so I went fishing for the halibut! :D

Wow, nice pics!

So dummy me looks at your location and sees AK... that's Arkansas right!

Wait, there ain't no mountains like that in Arkansas is there?

Ahhh, AK, Alaska (alaska, but I don't even know her! :D... allright, I'll stop.

Anyway, beautiful, beautiful country up there. You're fortunate to live there. :yes:
 
Last edited:
Nice Photo's,
Ive Longlined for Halibut and Black cod in the
Bering sea commercially and have seen some big ones,I think 375-400 lbs was the biggest.
Check out this Seattle P.I. newspaper article-
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/139258_bighalibut12.html
When the deck of the boat is covered with Halibut
Its not the big lunkers you have to worry about,
its the 15-30 pounders that flop around like jackhammers and can brake your ankle.
I was cleaning a large Buck halibut once,where my
intire body was in its stomach cavity with my arms
extended, trying to grab onto its Testes
(Which must be removed before Icing,as it spoils the meat like any other organ)
This fish did not want to let them go and was still
putting up a fight Gutted!
And hey Greg,Good to know you spent some time up North-Big contrast from the Gulf of Alaska to the
Boundry waters canoe area Aye!?!
Mark.
 
I love Halibut! Too makes me wish there were a good sea food store in the "hood". The pictures look good today a rainy summer day in Jersey!
 
B2, Florence has a catalog for an Alaskan fishery, gets good smoked salmon (need my bagels and lox) and other types of fish, crab legs, etc. Since the effing lobbyists keep blocking "country of origin" labelling we wont buy from the supermarket. Without honest labels who knows where the stuff comes from.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom