• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Driver under the influence - of cornstarch

Register to hide this ad
Oh wow! That would be SUCH a cool Halloween prop! What frequency is that speaker vibrating at? Seems like it's a very low frequency.... maybe 40 hertz?
 
Too friggin' funny! Looks like some strange sci-fi movie -- "It's alive ... It's alive"
Wonder what he was feeding the speaker. That could replace lava lamps! A little day-glo paint in the corn starch, a black light -- Far F_cking Out, Man!
 
Damn, I knew there was another use for that old HP signal generator that I had a few years back - no longer have it :(
 
From that same site, go forward a few to the ted.com video. It's really long but totally worth the 10 minutes. I think the title was "changing the rules of public speaking"
 
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To:-Make-Non-Newtonian-Fluid-&-Experiment-wit/?comments=all

I can't see that link from my office, but here's another one that has directions to make cornstarch non-Newtonian fluid - is this the same stuff?

Way cool.

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-newtonian_fluid

Non-Newtonian fluids are neato. A friend of mine who is attending an engineering college got to play in a kiddie pool full of a non-Newtonian cornstarch mixture at some school function. She said you could walk across it, and not sink down. However, if you stood still for more than a couple of seconds you would start descending rapidly.
 
From that same site, go forward a few to the ted.com video. It's really long but totally worth the 10 minutes. I think the title was "changing the rules of public speaking"

I love TED talks! Been an avid watcher for a good number of years now. :thmbsp: :thmbsp:
 
Hhhmmm, the lava-lamp and neon-glow variations sound intriguing. Build the driver into the base of a wide, clear acrylic tube (or globe), add the goop, then put a cap on top with a blacklight inside of it. Put the tone-generator and a little amp inside the base. Voila! Instant creepy-thing. Alien environment. Living goop-creature in a container. Whatever.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the goop would splat all over the walls of the tube and stick there, blocking the view.

Still, I'm sure the bugs could be worked out. Real potential there, and it could be done quite cheaply with recycled parts!
 
Arkay,
Let's figure out how to combine this with a plasma globe -- probably have to be a two-part entertainment device. Day-glo creepy environment on one side, plasma globe on the other, Alice Cooper's "Welcome to My Nightmare" playing in the background.
 
Back
Top Bottom