• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

a few fake tesla E83CC stickin around

ceylon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
there was a handful of these that hit reverb and the auction site.
the "mazda" is rebranded tesla E83CC, and the other is JJ.
seller has been informed, and the reverb listing is still up.
Screenshot 2025-12-26 at 6.56.47 PM.png
all but one or two of the fake tesla E83CC ive come across this past year are identical to the badly done counterfeit you see here on the R.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Bootleg tubes are a nuisance !
There are worse types around.
I really despise finding Telefunken smooth plate ECC83/12AX7s with no date code/diamond stamp between the pins. They don't sound right, either...

At least the real JJ ECC803s look nicely built. I bet they sound very good...
 
Yes! Tesla ECC803s were long plates. In contrast, the German Telefunken ECC803S were short frame-grid plates.

And the Tesla E83CC are frame-grids.
you are correct. tesla E83CC is quite a faithful clone of telefunken ecc803S. i wish telsa had cloned the TF ECC801S as well.

dunno why they used the typical european nomenclature in steadof telefunken's.
 
Bootleg tubes are a nuisance !
There are worse types around.
I really despise finding Telefunken smooth plate ECC83/12AX7s with no date code/diamond stamp between the pins. They don't sound right, either...

At least the real JJ ECC803s look nicely built. I bet they sound very good...
I have a set of the ECC803s in my Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp... they take a bit of breaking in but when done sound really good with lots of deep bass. Their E83CC short plate frame grid tubes are also very good- on par with my Ratheon 5751's
E83CC  001.jpgs-l1601.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have a set in my Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp... they take a bit of breaking in but when done sound really good with lots of deep bass.
I never tried TFK in my Tube Box. The Raytheons have been so reliable in my setup, I don't want to make them jealous. SWEATING (SMALLEST 2).jpg

I have tried Sylvania 12AX7A, 5751 (TMBP), Valvo (German) ECC83, Miniwatt (Dutch) ECC83, Mullard (Blackburn) ECC83, and RCA BP 7025. And the Raytheons have better separation of instruments and vocals. Phono stages and tubes used in them are SO system, and audio-environment-dependent. For sure, everyone's mileage is going to vary. :thumbsup:

"Crosby, Still, and Nash." Atlantic Records. SD 8229. Monarch pressing. 1969.
Run-out: ST-A-691576-RE MO BB LW (sideways) A T △13395

Subs on. :)
 
Last edited:
I never tried TFK in my Tube Box. The Raytheons have been so reliable in my setup, I don't want to make them jealous. View attachment 3663760

I have tried Sylvania 12AX7A, 5751 (TMBP), Valvo (German) ECC83, Miniwatt (Dutch) ECC83, Mullaurd (Blackburn) ECC83, and RCA BP 7025. And the Raytheons have better separation of instruments and vocals.

"Crosby, Still, and Nash." Atlantic Records. SD 8229. Monarch pressing. 1969.
Run-out: ST-A-691576-RE MO BB LW (sideways) A T △13395

Subs on. :)
The Ratheon are great (and rare)- I use them for "special" occasions when I'm setting up new equipment. I have some GE JAN 5751 that are horrible (bright and harsh), the better sounding ones are my JJ E83CC, ECC803s, and a set of Psvane Horizon 12AX7s that I haven't used yet.
GE-5751_JAN-GE-5751-1.jpg
 
The Ratheon are great (and rare)- I use them for "special" occasions when I'm setting up new equipment. I have some GE JAN 5751 that are horrible (bright and harsh), the better sounding ones are my JJ E83CC, ECC803s, and a set of Psvane Horizon 12AX7s that I haven't used yet.
View attachment 3663765
Yes. One thing with my pre-amp. European-made tubes, such as British Mullards, Dutch Philips, and even German Valvo, produced a similar warm sound, but lacked the clear separation of instruments. The Pro-ject liked the RCA 7025 black plates; it had an open, clean sound. However, the separation from the 5751 Windmills is the best. Not even close.

The Sylvania 5751 TMBP sounded dull — prolly weak tubes. I didn't test them. :idea:

(I've squirreled away NOS Raytheon matched pairs — the best source was a Singapore seller. That was in 2018).
 
Last edited:
My Tubelab 300B SET amp uses Raytheon 5842's. The Raytheon's sound pretty good.
Its a short stubby little 9 pin tube. I had to use socket savers to extend them above the chassis enough to get a grip on them. They're kind of an odd little dual triode. This is the only amp I've ever seen them used in.
 
Back
Top Bottom